Apache Forward Proxy with App Server Integration.

Hi,

I am trying to understand how can I setup a Apache httpd instance with proxy functionality addition to an integration of a Application Server.

I am looking for is that Proxy should be able to forward the HTTP Requests and Response messages coming from client to this Application Server. At the same time, any HTTP Responses coming from Origin server should also be able to route to Application Server if any processing is required. The network diagram looks like below.

+-------+
| Orig |
| Server|
+-------+
 |  |
 |  |
+-------+ +-------+
|Proxy |------>|App |
|Server |<------|Server |
+-------+ +-------+
 |  |
 |  |
+-------+
|Client |
| |
+-------+

Technically speaking, I can as well implement the App Server logic in the httpd as another module, but I do not want to do that. I want to leverage the flexibility of Java, and this App Server is essentially is a Tomcat instance.

What I learned so far is we can use mod_proxy, mod_jk, mod_proxy_ajp etc. However, these combinations are either providing the functionality of a load balancer or reverse proxy functionality.

As stated above, my requirement is to intercept both the HTTP traffic path, and have them processed by App Server via Proxy. Can you please provide me the solution options for this requirement?

Please also point me to any references/tutorials/how-to guides if available.

Thanks,
/anil.