Re: Help: accessing network files from apache server

On May 6, 2012 4:39 , Jan Kaul <janholgerkaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm trying to run a Apache server to host a Webseite with PHP. The website should display Data which is stored on a different computer in the network. So far, I wasn't able to access these files. I figured that the problem is related to Authorization, but Accessing files from another computer isn't mentioned in the Documentation.

There is nothing in the documentation because you don't need to do anything special. Apache HTTP Server will serve files that are accessible via the filesystem namespace on the system on which httpd is running. So to serve files from another computer, all you have to do is make those files available to the computer where you run http. There are many ways to do this, but the main one would be to have the computer on which the files reside act as a fileserver (using NFS, CIFS, or another protocol) and have the computer on which you are running httpd access ("mount") the filesystem being exported from the fileserver computer.

What leads you to believe that the problem is related to authorization? We'll need more information in order to be able to help you. Needless to say, if you are sharing files as described above, you'll need to ensure that the user as which httpd is running has permissions to access the files, but this is done the same way in which you ensure that httpd has permission to access local files: set the owner of the files to be the user as which httpd runs, or set the ACLs appropriately (if you are using ACLs), and/or set the permission bits properly (if you're running httpd under a Unix-like OS).

--
  Mark Montague
  mark@xxxxxxxxxxx