Re: AoE performance on small boxes

Sorry for the delay. I missed this thread. I'd like to chip-in here.

@Ed Cashin
I slightly disagree with the need to fork this. I believe it should go into the contrib folder, should it be kept up to date.

The previous AIO patch is documented to have offered negligible improvements on Linux at that time.
I contacted the patch writer some time ago and enquired about the results. As I recall, it also offered similarly disappointing results on FreeBSD (but then again the old code did not use jumbo-frames)
Dropping the new code in the contrib folder as a patch sounds better to me (and maybe if it is sufficiently stable, maintainers might wish to include it in distributions)

@Killer
I tried to contact him regarding a fix for a deadlock some years ago and I got in touch with somebody working on WinVBlock (a similar project that borrows code from WinAoE) on the mentioned IRC channel. He said that 'v' passed from time to time around IRC, but was highly unlikely to release a new version and I would be better off forking. I did send in the patch, at that point, but I haven't heard back, so that's that.
Moving to common grounds, I maintain my own WinAoE fork here and have been using it in production environments for some two years.
I've been considering the idea of uploading it to github or the likes ever since I started work on it, but the code is much too dirty to not shame me publicly (and I also haven't investigated the licensing issues with legal and bosses)
The code difference was mostly a rewrite of the networking part to NDIS6 to make it actually usable above Windows XP.
I'd be very happy to know what issues you've worked around that would deadlock a system. I've been trying to find a way around windows removing filter drivers on installation of firewall products for quite a bit of time now.

Long mail... cheers!