Re: AOE v83 - unknown device

It occurs to me that old (circa 2005) kernels (and even old user-space tools) cannot handle large system minor numbers.  So please consider that.

No, using an AoE (major, minor) address space that is sparsely populated is OK.  Large gaps in the address space don't mean that you run into a limit sooner when dynamic system minor numbers are in use.

There should be no advantage in using the static system minor numbering.  That feature was added for backward compatibility.