Re: AOE v83 - unknown device

Just some quick thoughts in a hurry...

Talking about minor numbers is naturally confusing with the aoe driver, because there are at least two kinds:

  * The AoE address is comprised of a {major, minor} pair, often called shelf.slot.  "AoE minor number"

  * The Linux system has special block device files with major and minor numbers.  "system minor number"

For dynamic system minor numbers, which is the default (but see `cat /sys/module/aoe/parameters/aoe_dyndevs` to verify), there is a bitmap of available system minor numbers.  There are over 64000 of them, but you could run out if you have AoE targets coming and going and you don't do aoe-flush.

If you're doing static system minor numbers, though, you'd expect higher AoE minor numbers to be a problem.