Re: Request for setup of new repositories

On 25. 05. 22 3:42, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 02:36:19PM +0200, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
On 24. 05. 22 13:25, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
Hi Jaroslav,

On Thu, May 05, 2022 at 09:49:52PM +0900, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
At present I prefer separated pages from source since the pages can be
generated from the source, however as you say the inclusive way is worth
to reduce repository maintained by the project. I test the idea later in
my libhinoko repository. When it looks well, I'll request you for
configuration change.

I'd like to fix the issue for the URL of documentation before releasing
libhitaki since I put the URL to configuration for gi-docgen.

I'm investigating to put the documentation into the same repository
where source is maintained, however I prefer to separate the two into
different repositories. Then I suppose it good to put several
documentations into one repository rather than maintaining them in
different repositories.

At present, three repositories are maintained for documentations:

* https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-gobject-docs
* https://github.com/alsa-project/libhinawa-docs
* https://github.com/alsa-project/libhitaki-doc

Let us consolidate them in one repository. For example, by referring to
team name:

* https://github.com/alsa-project/gobject-introspection-docs/

The documentations are expected to be public under below URL:

* https://alsa-project.github.io/gobject-introspection-docs/alsa-gobject/
* https://alsa-project.github.io/gobject-introspection-docs/hinawa/
* https://alsa-project.github.io/gobject-introspection-docs/hitaki/

I'd like to ask your opinion about the idea.

Thanks for this idea. I just noted that github allows to specify a branch
for the git pages (github.io). Do you think that a 'doc' or 'docs' branch in
the separate source repos will be sufficient for your work? It may be more
logical than having a common doc repo (logical URLs) and things (source and
generated pages) will not mix together.

Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed, we can choose the way to put
documentation to specific branch in the repository. I've already
investigated the way then had complexed feeling.

...To be honest, I'd like to avoid it, as much as possible, in a point
of the essential concept in source control management. The branching
idea forces to put several histories disconnected each other into one
repository. It's surely available technically, however I feel sort of
awkward somehow.

(I think I'm enough conservative when using tools. I feel something
shooting myself in the foot when doing it. It perhaps comes from my
experience under UNIX-like environment...)

The separated common repository for documents had room for integration of
documentation. For example, I can put library documentations as well as
overview page for included software such like Rust crates. It's flexible
and logical in a view of top level of software stack.

It's fine for me. The gobject-introspection-docs is created now.

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx>