Re: [RFC] Sign offs for alsa-driver -> alsa-kernel derived works.

At Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:53:48 +0000,
Richard Purdie wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 11:31 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Sun, 18 Mar 2007 07:51:45 +0100,
> > Giorgio Padrin wrote:

> > > As long as that sign-off-by line is expunged from the submission, cause
> > > not coming from me. For the health of the process.
> >
> > Or, please check the patch and give a sign-off, so everyhing will be
> > happy again.
> >
> > As mentioned, a sign-off doesn't mean that the patch is from yours at
> > all.  It means that it's reviewed and confirmed as a patch for merge.
>
> That would be Acked-by where you review it and just confirm its ok by
> you.
>
> Signed-off-by means the patch passed through the hands of the person on
> its way into mainline. The SoC patches that had my signed-off-by line
> were correct as I'd passed them to Liam who collected them, then pushed
> them upstream - the patches passed through both our hands.
>
> In this case (as I understand it), Giorgio wrote some of the code it was
> based on and therefore should get a mention in the commit message and
> headers of the files concerned. If he agrees with the code, he can also
> Ack it. He hasn't been directly part of the chain of submission though.

In the exact defintion, yes, you're correct.

But, a patch can be submitted from multiple paths, i.e. I may receive
the very same patch from multiple persons at the same time.  In that
case, Signed-off-by isn't completely wrong (except for the time-line
:-)

Note that we cannot modify the commit log on public Git or HG tree
easily, and sign-offs are in commit logs.  So, removing a sign-off
from the public tree should be the very last choice.

Takashi