Re: [RFC] Sign offs for alsa-driver -> alsa-kernel derived works.

At Sun, 18 Mar 2007 07:51:45 +0100,
Giorgio Padrin wrote:

> Il giorno ven, 16/03/2007 alle 12.56 +0100, Takashi Iwai ha scritto:
> > At Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:30:20 +0000,
> > Liam Girdwood wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd like to gather some clarification wrt sign offs for alsa-driver to
> > > alsa-kernel derived works.
> > >
> > > Example in case: alsa-driver:i2c/uda1380.c was extensively modified to
> > > become alsa-kernel:soc/codecs/uda1380.c
> > >
> > > I submitted the derived driver with sign-off from 3 developers who had
> > > worked on the derived work (Richard Purdie, Philipp Zabel and myself)
> > > and the original alsa-driver:uda1380.c author (Giorgio Padrin) who was
> > > not involved in creating the derived work.
> > >
> > > I included Giorgio in the sign-off for the following reasons :-
> > >
> > > 1. There are sections of his original (non alsa-kernel) code and
> > > algorithms within the derived work. This was to certify the origins of
> > > *all* the code and algorithms within the derived driver as the original
> > > driver only existed within alsa-driver and hence none of it's code had
> > > been signed-off into the kernel.
> > >
> > > Iirc, sign-off from Giorgio would not have been required if the original
> > > driver was already part of the kernel.
> > >
> > > 2. To give credit to where credit was due.
> > >

> > > Takashi, Jaroslav, could you guys clarify the sign-off relationship
> > > between alsa-driver -> alsa-kernel (inc derived works). I assume
> > > original work from alsa-driver can be pushed into alsa-kernel due to
> > > it's original sign-off ?
> >
> >  From my understanding, the sign-off is a kind of approvals.
> > The patch author needs to sign off first, then the people who review
> > and approve the patch sign off in the next.
> >
> > So, in your case, basically you don't need a sign-off by Giorgio since
> > "the patch" you wrote is different from his original one.
> >
> > > If original author sign-off is not required for this situation, I can
> > > resubmit the code.
> >
> > I don't think resubmission is needed.
>
> As long as that sign-off-by line is expunged from the submission, cause
> not coming from me. For the health of the process.

Or, please check the patch and give a sign-off, so everyhing will be
happy again.

As mentioned, a sign-off doesn't mean that the patch is from yours at
all.  It means that it's reviewed and confirmed as a patch for merge.

Takashi