Re: [RFC] Sign offs for alsa-driver -> alsa-kernel derived works.

At Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:30:20 +0000,
Liam Girdwood wrote:

> I'd like to gather some clarification wrt sign offs for alsa-driver to
> alsa-kernel derived works.
>
> Example in case: alsa-driver:i2c/uda1380.c was extensively modified to
> become alsa-kernel:soc/codecs/uda1380.c
>
> I submitted the derived driver with sign-off from 3 developers who had
> worked on the derived work (Richard Purdie, Philipp Zabel and myself)
> and the original alsa-driver:uda1380.c author (Giorgio Padrin) who was
> not involved in creating the derived work.
>
> I included Giorgio in the sign-off for the following reasons :-
>
> 1. There are sections of his original (non alsa-kernel) code and
> algorithms within the derived work. This was to certify the origins of
> *all* the code and algorithms within the derived driver as the original
> driver only existed within alsa-driver and hence none of it's code had
> been signed-off into the kernel.
>
> Iirc, sign-off from Giorgio would not have been required if the original
> driver was already part of the kernel.
>
> 2. To give credit to where credit was due.
>

> Takashi, Jaroslav, could you guys clarify the sign-off relationship
> between alsa-driver -> alsa-kernel (inc derived works). I assume
> original work from alsa-driver can be pushed into alsa-kernel due to
> it's original sign-off ?

 From my understanding, the sign-off is a kind of approvals.
The patch author needs to sign off first, then the people who review
and approve the patch sign off in the next.

So, in your case, basically you don't need a sign-off by Giorgio since
"the patch" you wrote is different from his original one.

> If original author sign-off is not required for this situation, I can
> resubmit the code.

I don't think resubmission is needed.

Takashi