Re: isa_bus: sb8

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 12:28:34AM +0100, Rene Herman wrote:
> The unfortunate thing is that autoprobe on ISA is a quite horribly bad
> idea...
>
> On a PCI/ISA system you need to know the IRQ and DMA channel(s) the card
> is using _anyway_ since you need to tell the BIOS to not hand those out
> to PCI or ISA-PnP cards (or, in the case of IRQs, even tell it to make
> that IRQ available to ISA).

   I have one of those nearly useless AmiBIOSes in a Pentium2 box. It does
nothing for ISA-PnP cards except to print their names. I have forced it to
assign the same IRQ to all PCI cards or I would not have any left for ISA
cards, ISA-PnP or not.

   Considering that
1) there are only a few valid SB8 ports, and
2) a wrong port is detected immediately, and
3) there are only three valid DMA channels
I think an IRQ auto-probe is the most useful one of the three. You'd need an
average of 15 attempts to guess IRQ and DMA at the same time (10 possible
IRQs, 3 possible DMAs). AFAIK, autoprobing for IRQ works well in practice.

> By the way -- are you in fact using a SG NX Pro? Not a SG NX Pro 16 or
> some other 16-bit SG? The NX Pro should have an FCCID of I38-MMSD802. If
> you are in fact using a 16-bit SG the card's better of being used in
> it's native WSS mode, though snd-sgalaxy.

   The FCCID is I38-SGNXPRO. According to
<URL:http://www.amitech.dk/includes/drivers/lydkort.asp>, all of
I38-SGNXPRO, I38-MMSN802 and I38-MMSD802 are SG NX Pro. The three largest
chips on the board are AZT-NXPMIX0592, AZTSSPT0592-U01 and AZTDSP31H. There
is room for a SCSI controller chip and a SCSI connector. There is a Mitsumi
CDROM interface.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen