Re: Development Question

This is interesting, Pieter, however my app already has the knowledge of
notes and events, the only reason i had midi bytes was because i converted
the events into bytes because then i could make them play using a single
function on mac.

Apparently on Linux/Alsa it's not this way, so i should probably learn how
to put a serie of events in a sequence and then play it. The most recent
sample of this i found was dated '2002' and didn't work, and my own attempts
with the documentation didn't either.

I am already able to send events directly. Where can i find recent
infomation on how to schedule them in a queue and play them after?

thanks

>From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@xxxxxxx>
>To: "M. Gagnon" <fire_void@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>CC: alsa-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re:  Development Question
>Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:36:31 +0100
>
>M. Gagnon wrote:
>>Hi, i am now trying to port an application to linux using Alsa. At some
>>point, i have midi bytes as char* and i have to play them. This is exactly
>>the same data you'd find in a file, expect that it's in memory instead.
>>How is that possible?
>>
>>If this is not possible, i could always take any help on playing midi
>>using sequencers I looked at the docs, i found a few samples, but they
>>seemed to be outdated and the one that could interest me segfaulted. After
>>i debugged it and fixed the segfault, it played nothing... (and i'm sure
>>my midi is configured correctly BTW, pmidi works and i also succeeded in
>>getting single notes to play)
>This is how I do playback in the freebob backend for jack:
>
>for (s=0;s<samples_read;s++) {
>   signed int *byte=(buff+s);
>   snd_seq_event_t ev;
>   if ((snd_midi_event_encode_byte(
>          port->parser,(*byte) & 0xFF, &ev)
>        ) > 0) {
>       // a midi message is complete, send it out to ALSA
>       snd_seq_ev_set_subs(&ev);
>       snd_seq_ev_set_direct(&ev);
>       snd_seq_ev_set_source(&ev, port->seq_port_nr);
>       snd_seq_event_output_direct(port->seq_handle, &ev);			   }
>}
>
>you can check the freebob_driver_midi_* functions in the freebob jack
>backend for more detail.
>
>Pieter

Windows Live Spaces: partagez vos photos avec vos amis!
http://spaces.live.com/?mkt=fr-ca