Re: Problems with Realtek HD Audio

At Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:55:54 +0900 (JST),
Shingo HORISAWA wrote:

> Hi, Takashi.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> At first, I tried the latest ALSA HG driver,
> but both problems occured again.
>
> In /proc/asound/card0/codec#0,
> codec was recognized as follows:
>
>  Codec: Realtek ALC262
>  Address: 0
>  Vendor Id: 0x10ec0262
>  Sybsystem Id: 0x11790500
>  Revision Id: x100100
>  Default: PCM
>    .
>    .
>    .
>
> So, it was recoginzed correctly, I think.

Well, the codec is usually recognized, but it doesn't mean that your
hardware is really supported.  Check out the kernel log and see
whether the driver tells about "unknown model...".  Also try to build
drivers with --with-debug=detect option for making it more verbose.

> > Did you get any kernel message, for example,
> > something regarding
> > DMA/IRQ problem?  Does playback still work even
> > after this happens?
> > How about mixer volume / switch after this?
>
> Though I couldn't find any messages when this happend,
> but I could find the following message on
> /var/log/messages
> when I started capturing by "arecord" command:
>
>    kernel: hda-intel: Invalid position buffer, using LPIB
> read method instead.

Does it appear after arecord or even after aplay?

Usually, when the DMA stalls (or not started, processed, etc), the PCM
core detects timeout and warns in the kernel log, such as "capture
read error (DMA or IRQ trouble?)".

> As for the playback, there is not a problem.
> There aren't any changes to mixer volume / switch don't
> after that.

I recommend you to try various model options for ALC262.  There are
plenty of varients, but not specific for Toshiba, so far.  But it's
still worth to try.

Takashi