Re: Problems with Realtek HD Audio

At Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:26:32 +0900 (JST),
Shingo HORISAWA wrote:

> Hi, alsa developers.
>
> I have two problems about Realtek HD audio.
>
> (1) Capturing stops suddenly
>
>   When I was capturing a sound from microphone for
> recording voice
>   using "arecord", it had stopped suddenly.
>   After that, I couldn't capture a sound at all.
>   To repair this situation, I had to restart ALSA or
> system.
>
>   It seems that this problem occurs when there are heavily
> loads.
>   (For example, when I was using ethereal, it occured.)

Did you get any kernel message, for example, something regarding
DMA/IRQ problem?  Does playback still work even after this happens?
How about mixer volume / switch after this?

> (2) Sound from embedded speaker
>
>   When I plug a headphone into PC,
>   I can hear sounds from both of headephone and embedded
> speaker.
>   (Normally, sounds should be heard from headphone.)
>
> Are these known problem?
> And if you know how to avoid them, please tell me.

It's likely non-implemented feature.
The driver needs to turn the HP and the speaker on/off according to
the solicited events.  This was implemented for many devices but works
only on the known devices.

> FYI, my PC is TOSHIBA dynabook Satellite K10,
> and my distro is Fedora Core 6.
> The audio device is ATI technologies SB450 HDA Audio.

The standard kernel has really partial support for recent HD-audio
devices.  Try to build the latest ALSA HG version (daily snapshot
tarballs would be easier) at first:
	ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/driver

Check the codec chip in /proc/asound/card0/codec#* file.  See the
kernel message whether it reports as "unknown codec".  If yes, try to
pass a proper model=xxx option to snd-hda-intel module where xxx is
the one of matching model names to your codec found in
ALSA-Configuration.txt.

HTH,

Takashi