Re: ALC660VD and ALC861VD patch for hda-intel

At Fri, 2 Feb 2007 06:50:16 +0100,
Jakub Schmidtke wrote:

> After further investigation I have found drivers from realtek
> (ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/realtek-linux-audiopack-4.05e.tar.bz2 )
> which had support for ALC660 (vd?) codec. Which is quite similar to alv861vd,
> but there is no datasheet available. So I examined that driver and added 660
> to my patch, using 861vd code, and changing few things. Also correcting some
> errors in realtek's code, as it was copy-pasted from 883 code, and for
> example didn't muted correct channels at startup.
>
> This patch is instead of previous one I have sent, not after and adds support
> for 861vd and 660vd codecs.

Thanks for the patch!

> Could anybody tell me if this patch is of any value?
> Or maybe someone has similar device and could test if it works with his
> hardware as well?

The patch looks almost OK.  I fixed some coding style issues
(e.g. fold lines in 80 chars), compile tested, so it's ready for
merge.  But a documentation is missing.  Could you add some brief
descriptions in Documentation/ALSA-Configuration.txt, too?

Then please provide a proper changelog (summary and patch description)
and a sign-off so that I can merge them to HG tree.

> P.S. I called the new codec 660-VD, because the only occurence of 660 in
> realtek's webpage is ALC660-VD in some press info. And ALC660 is already
> used, as a variant of 861 codec. The codec added by me is similar to 861vd,
> not 861, so I think 660vd is a good name for that :)

That should be OK.  If it were wrong, Realtek would correct it in
their next patchset :)

Takashi