Re: ice1712 IPGA and ADC controls

At Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:47:43 +0100,
Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 09:09:05AM +0000, Alan Horstmann wrote:
>
> > Also, lets not confuse the controls the alsa driver provides with how a GUI
> > mixer such as envy24control presents those to a user.  It seems (Takashi
> > please confirm) that this change is removing the separate controls from the
> > AK4524 driver code, meaning that no alsa-driver using AK4524 can provide them
> > separately.  With a single control the driver has no way to dictate labelling
> > of '0dB' level (or any other useful notes) when used in a mixer.
>
> I missed the start of this thread, but if the idea is to combine analog and
> digital gain controls into one, that would be _a very bad idea_ and make a
> card useless for any pro or semi-pro use.

Actually, the combination of attenuation and IPGA _is_ the very design
of this chip.  The driver is implemented as it is.

> If users don't understand the difference, they should be informed. If they
> still don't want to understand it, they should be encouraged to switch to
> some other form of entertainment.

That's a role of the mixer application - or a usability problem.  In
the earlier version, the driver gave two individual controls and this
messed up because they aren't individually controlled at all in
reality.

Takashi