Re: ice1712 IPGA and ADC controls

On Sunday 28 January 2007 20:54, Tim wrote:

> driver?
>
> Alan wrote:
> > >     - ak4xxx - Remove bogus IPGA controls
>
> I just looked at the AK4524 datasheet.
> Well, the gain and attenuation are certainly two seperate
>  parts of the chip combined into one register. But ultimately
>  are two means to an end.
> Table 12, the IPGA Code Table says it all, for me.
> See that gain (db) column?
> THAT is what I want to see when I look at a slider! How 'bout you?

I want to see controls that reflect the actual hardware, where it will
influence the performance.  If the user does not understand the concepts of
dynamic range, signal-to-noise ratio, clipping, headroom, harmonic distortion
and others, then they are unlikely to get good results out of the rest of
their studio equipment.  Knowing about those issues underlines why pre-ADC
gain is vastly different from post-ADC digital attenuation, and the two
should not be mixed up just because they both vary the gain from the socket
to the pcm stream.

> To merge a point made previously: If users of these cards are
>  more "technical" or "professional", then they will understand
>  what they are doing, either because they know, or we simply tell
>  them with a helpful line about this matter in the readme.
> Right?
> BTW if any mixer out there is to do this correctly it could only
>  be envy24control. I don't know if any standard alsa mixer could
>  know about the specific db steps on these chips.
>
> My spider senses tell me the envy24control devels are working on this.
> Right guys?... Hello?...
>
> Tim.

Also, lets not confuse the controls the alsa driver provides with how a GUI
mixer such as envy24control presents those to a user.  It seems (Takashi
please confirm) that this change is removing the separate controls from the
AK4524 driver code, meaning that no alsa-driver using AK4524 can provide them
separately.  With a single control the driver has no way to dictate labelling
of '0dB' level (or any other useful notes) when used in a mixer.

It is another issue whether, with 2 controls in the driver, the GUI should
combine them to a single GUI slider.  In this case I would still augue
strongly for two controls, due to the importance of the distinction in the
electronic circuit functions on the signal performance.

Alan