Re: alsa-lib: snd_device_name_hint() function

At Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:03:48 +0100,
Martin Habets wrote:

> Jaroslav, Takashi,
>
> I'd rather err on being more vebose here. While it is true displaying
> all of them increases the chance of (mostly newbies) picking the wrong
> device, but it also avoids people claiming they do not have those devices.

Please don't jump to conclusion yet.  Whether the default is on or off
is no big deal, indeed.  We could add a global option to make the
default on or not, for example.

The problem is that we're seeing two different things.

1. List all devices that are available

  The list contains every single device defined in the config space.
You can pick it up and open it but don't know whether it works and
what is for.  It's suitable for tools like aplay that accepts all
configs, but can be confusing for GUI programs.

2. List devices that are predefined

  The list contains only devices that are tagged as usable and have
proper descriptions.  It's suitable for GUI programs, but some
user-defined definitions or functions may be missing unless you set it
right.

So, both are designed for different purposes.  The current design
doesn't look sufficient for the latter purpose.  For example, below is
the output of aplay -L on my machine.  If this appears on a selection
list of a GUI program, you would have no clue what to choose.

	null
	front:CARD=Live,DEV=0
	    ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
	rear:CARD=Live,DEV=0
	    ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
	center_lfe:CARD=Live,DEV=0
	    ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
	surround40:CARD=Live,DEV=0
	    ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
	surround41:CARD=Live,DEV=0
	    ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
	surround50:CARD=Live,DEV=0
	    ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
	surround51:CARD=Live,DEV=0
	    ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
	iec958:CARD=Live,DEV=0
	    ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
	spdif:CARD=Live,DEV=0
	    ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
	default:CARD=Live
	dmix:CARD=Live
	    ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback: Direct sample mixing device
	dsnoop:CARD=Live
	    ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback: Direct sample snooping device
	upac3:CARD=Live
	ac3
	updpl
	dmix51