Re: M-Audio Revolution 5.1 support status

At Fri, 8 Sep 2006 00:10:07 +0100,
Jochen Voss wrote:

> Hello,
>
> this is just a short summary of the current state of ALSA support for
> the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 card.

Thanks for the summary.

> 2) Bug #312 is still present: the left channel is mute on start-up.
> This is also triggered by unloading and then reloading the ALSA
> modules.  No idea what to do about this.

My guess is that this is a generic problem, possibly in i2c
communication since this occurs not only on revo 5.1 but also on revo
7.1.  Still I don't figure out what is wrong, though.

> 3) Some mixer control names are still a bit strange:
>
>     Simple mixer control 'H/W',0
>       Capabilities: enum
>       Items: 'PCM Out' 'H/W In 0' 'H/W In 1' 'IEC958 In L' 'IEC958 In R'
>       Item0: 'PCM Out'
>     Simple mixer control 'H/W',1
>       Capabilities: enum
>       Items: 'PCM Out' 'H/W In 0' 'H/W In 1' 'IEC958 In L' 'IEC958 In R'
>       Item0: 'PCM Out'
>     Simple mixer control 'H/W',2
>       Capabilities: enum
>       Items: 'PCM Out' 'H/W In 0' 'H/W In 1' 'IEC958 In L' 'IEC958 In R'
>       Item0: 'H/W In 0'
>     Simple mixer control 'H/W',3
>       Capabilities: enum
>       Items: 'PCM Out' 'H/W In 0' 'H/W In 1' 'IEC958 In L' 'IEC958 In R'
>       Item0: 'H/W In 1'
>     Simple mixer control 'H/W',4
>       Capabilities: enum
>       Items: 'PCM Out' 'H/W In 0' 'H/W In 1' 'IEC958 In L' 'IEC958 In R'
>       Item0: 'IEC958 In L'
>     Simple mixer control 'H/W',5
>       Capabilities: enum
>       Items: 'PCM Out' 'H/W In 0' 'H/W In 1' 'IEC958 In L' 'IEC958 In R'
>       Item0: 'IEC958 In R'
>
> These seem to control the digital loop-back feature, which is
> described in section 4.2.4 of the Envy24HT data sheet.  The first two
> "H/W" seem to correspond to the left and right stereo channel.  I
> guess that the others correspond to center, LFE, and rear.

They are routing tables on vt1724.  The real names of these controls
are "H/W Playback Route", and "Playback Route" is omitted by the mixer
abstraction layer.

Each channel is indicated with index numbers because the output analog
channels might be non-bundled, just independent mono outputs.  Also
the driver keeps generic names there.  That's why 'H/W' is used.

> Also I find it a but suspicious that there is only one "PCM Out" value
> and not "PCM Out L" and "PCM Out R".

If you choose PCM as a playback source, you have no option to choose
left or right.  The certain channel is always bound to the certain
output.  OTOH, you can choose either left or right channel of SPDIF
input.

So, this appearance is logically correct, but may be puzzling for
boards with stere-jacks (like revo).

> 4) The integrated VU peak meter of the Envy24GT (see section 4.2.6 of
> the Envy24HT data sheet) shows up in strange places: In amixer it is
>
>     Simple mixer control 'Multi Track Peak',0
>       Capabilities: volume
>       Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right - Rear Left - Rear Right - Front Center - Woofer - Side Left - Side Right - Rear Center - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?
>       Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right - Rear Left - Rear Right - Front Center - Woofer - Side Left - Side Right - Rear Center - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?
>       Limits: 0 - 255
>       Front Left: 0 [0%]
>       Front Right: 0 [0%]
>       Rear Left: 0 [0%]
>       Rear Right: 0 [0%]
>       Front Center: 0 [0%]
>       Woofer: 0 [0%]
>       Side Left: 0 [0%]
>       Side Right: 0 [0%]
>       Rear Center: 0 [0%]
>       ?: 0 [0%]
>       ?: 1 [0%]
>       ?: 1 [0%]
>       ?: 0 [0%]
>       ?: 0 [0%]
>       ?: 0 [0%]
>       ?: 0 [0%]
>       ?: 0 [0%]
>       ?: 0 [0%]
>       ?: 0 [0%]
>       ?: 0 [0%]
>       ?: 0 [0%]
>       ?: 0 [0%]
>
> In alsamixer it gives me sliders which I can adjust!

VU meters are read-only, so you cannot change the values.
However, basically they shouldn't appear on alsamixer.  It's useless
unless alsamixer updates periodically such controls.

Takashi