Re: M-Audio Revolution 5.1 support status

Hello Takashi,

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 04:06:34PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > 2) Bug #312 is still present: the left channel is mute on start-up.
> > This is also triggered by unloading and then reloading the ALSA
> > modules.  No idea what to do about this.
>
> My guess is that this is a generic problem, possibly in i2c
> communication since this occurs not only on revo 5.1 but also on revo
> 7.1.  Still I don't figure out what is wrong, though.

Maybe it is some annoying timing problem, i.e. that the driver starts
writing to the chip before it is ready?

> They are routing tables on vt1724.  The real names of these controls
> are "H/W Playback Route", and "Playback Route" is omitted by the mixer
> abstraction layer.
>
> Each channel is indicated with index numbers because the output analog
> channels might be non-bundled, just independent mono outputs.  Also
> the driver keeps generic names there.  That's why 'H/W' is used.

Couldn't the names be modified so you could see from the name which
control is for the rear left speaker?

> > Also I find it a but suspicious that there is only one "PCM Out" value
> > and not "PCM Out L" and "PCM Out R".
>
> If you choose PCM as a playback source, you have no option to choose
> left or right.  The certain channel is always bound to the certain
> output. [...]
Oh, ok, after looking at the diagram in the Envy24HT spec again, I see
what you mean.

> VU meters are read-only, so you cannot change the values.
> However, basically they shouldn't appear on alsamixer.  [...]

This would need to be changed in alsamixer then?

All the best,
Jochen
--
http://seehuhn.de/