Re: NYTimes.com: Investigating Tiny Voices at Air Tower

As you say, it's not clear.=20

Given the industry focus on precision, that's the issue.

Brett Fechheimer wrote:
>>> Why accept the clearance unchallenged?
>>>      =20
>
> We don't actually have the full recordings, just the bit originally put=
 up on LiveATC.net (and since distributed virally by our trusted media), =
which lasts not much longer than a minute -- and even during that minute,=
 the ATC is heard just as much, or more, as his son. In other words, the =
kid's words didn't occur in a vacuum; his father spoke immediately before=
 and after his son did, every time, and we have no idea if just before th=
e recording started the ATC prepped the pilots even more explicitly about=
 what was going on (or if he continued to do so throughout; it's not clea=
r how extensively the recording was edited or what was left out). Clearly=
, even in the short bit we do have, the ATC is right there, making it cle=
ar it's his son who is speaking with his consent. The pilots accepted the=
 clearance for those reasons; it's not as if they thought some random 9-y=
ear-old in his basement in Ozone Park was somehow goofing around on the f=
requency.

jor distraction in the tower. I have been in the ATL tower one time in my=
 life, and I pretty much kept my mouth shut, or whispers, as I would have=
 on the few trips I have had (distant past) in the jump seat of an large =
airliner landing in SYD, Narita, or even my one experience in the jump se=
at of an Electra landing in Sal Paolo.

>> Bryant Petitt
>> Cumming, GA

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".