Re: Fwd: Are photographers really a threat?

I've always said, If I was standing, taking my normal PHL photos and
someone several yards away had a semi-automatic. People driving by would
say, "Oh My God, he's gotta  camera !"

Even my co-workers who are not into aviation say half-jokingly, "What
Are you, a terrorist"

I'm happy to read someone in the journalistic world makes sense. Thanks
Bill for posting!

Paul

Bill Hough wrote:
> [...]
> of
> their targets. They have to do reconnaissance, don't they? We need
> 45
> minutes of television action before the actual terrorist attack --
> 90
> minutes if it's a movie -- and a photography scene is just perfect.
> It's our movie-plot terrorists that are photographers, even if the
> real-world ones are not.
>
> The problem with movie-plot security is it only works if we guess
> the
> plot correctly. If we spend a zillion dollars defending Wimbledon
> and
> terrorists blow up a different sporting event, that's money wasted.
> If we post guards all over the Underground and terrorists bomb a
> crowded shopping area, that's also a waste. If we teach everyone to
> be alert for photographers, and terrorists don't take photographs,
> we've wasted money and effort, and taught people to fear something
> they shouldn't.
>
> And even if terrorists did photograph their targets, the math
> doesn't
> make sense. Billions of photographs are taken by honest people
> every
> year, 50 billion by amateurs alone in the US And the national
> monuments you imagine terrorists taking photographs of are the same
> ones tourists like to take pictures of. If you see someone taking
> one
> of those photographs, the odds are infinitesimal that he's a
> terrorist.
>
> Of course, it's far easier to explain the problem than it is to fix
> it. Because we're a species of storytellers, we find movie-plot
> threats uniquely compelling. A single vivid scenario will do more
> convince people that photographers might be terrorists than all the
> data I can muster to demonstrate that they're not.
>
> Fear aside, there aren't many legal restrictions on what you can
> photograph from a public place that's already in public view. If
> you're harassed, it's almost certainly a law enforcement official,
> public or private, acting way beyond his authority. There's nothing
> in any post-9/11 law that restricts your right to photograph.
>
> This is worth fighting. Search "photographer rights" on Google and
> download one of the several wallet documents that can help you if
> you
> get harassed; I found one for the UK, US, and Australia. Don't cede
> your right to photograph in public. Don't propagate the terrorist
> photographer story. Remind them that prohibiting photography was
> something we used to ridicule about the USSR. Eventually sanity
> will
> be restored, but it may take a while.

> --- End forwarded message ---

> If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to: