Re: anyone hear about this fare class Y-UP?

I suspect that Mark and I are talking about two different things. A
and P are discounted first class, and Z is discounted business class.
What I'm talking about is not sold as a first or business class fare;
it *can't* be, since the corporate travel agents (or individual
travelers who book the space and are reimbursed on expense account)
are prohibited by their company travel policy from booking any F or C
fare, discount or otherwise.

What I'm referring to is a scheme whereby the airline advertises that
full-fare coach (Y) passengers will get automatic space-available
upgrades to F (on two-class aircraft) or C (on three-class aircraft).
Unlike A, P, or Z, this is not a published fare with rules, but
simply an internal marketing program.  I have done this domestically
on UA, NW, CO, old FL, old QQ, and probably a couple of others, and
internationally on AC and LH. In each case the ticket was booked in
plain Y, and at check-in I got an F (C/J in the case of AC and LH)
boarding pass. I don't have the boarding pass stubs handy to check,
but I think on AC it was XJ or YJ (by the way, A and P on AC are
discount economy fares).

In some cases (NW, CO, QQ, FL) I got an F seat assignment on the
phone at the time of booking (or the travel agent got it for me); in
other cases I had to wait until check-in to get it. And once on NW
and once on UA I was, in effect, downgraded back to actual Y due to
being bumped by actual full-rev (or otherwise higher priority) F pax.

In any case I've never booked in A or P for these. I have booked in
Z, which is my usual fare class to Europe on UA, and that is positive
space in the C cabin, and the fare is more than full-fare Y but less
than C.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx