Re: SFGate: Emirates Airlines to Buy 42 Boeing 777s

Hi,

Emirates has relatively little to do with Hadj traffic. Every major
European airport has special charters departing with pilgrims direct to
Mecca, often operated by weird and wonderful airlines/aircraft that
wouldn't normally be visiting that particular airport.

Emirates are replacing the A330 on the Glasgow - Dubai (not Bahrain) route
for a 777-330 as the demand for that service is so high. Dubai/Abu Dhabi
are proving very popular holiday destinations, even for short breaks, in
their own right but mostly because Dubai is such a convenient transit point
from Britain (Europe) for everywhere to the Far East, Australasia, India
and Africa.

Please don't be fooled into sterotyping Muslims into Fox News bad guys. The
vast majority have no desire whatsoever to live under Taliban-type regimes,
and just because they (like me) have no desire to live in 'Margaritaville'
doesn't make them bad people either.

Regards to all,

Alastair

>   I'm sure a lot of those connections are for pilgrimages to
>Mecca.  It's why I think a lot of these SW Asian countries buy
>so many large A/C....it's a guaranteed market.

***************************************
Dr. Alastair T. Gardiner

Microbial Photosynthesis Lab 217
Division of Biochemistry & Mol. Biol.
Institute of Biomedical & Life Sciences
Davidson Building
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8QQ
Scotland

Tel. (+44) 141 330 6449
Fax. (+44) 141 330 4620
E-mail. atg3v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.gla.ac.uk/ibls/BMB/rjc/agardiner.html
http://www.e-mep.org

Have a look at my airliner photography at
http://airliners.net/search/photo.search?emailsearch=atg3v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx