Re: jet Blue incident

First, the pilots and jetBlue maintainance made the decision to land the
aircraft.  Plain and simple.  I really doubt they gave a damn about any sort of
law suit.  Second, the gear would not retract, that is how they noticed the
problem in the first place, so flying to JFK would not only be unsafe, but also
impossible at the rate of fuel burn expected, especially considering they
already have to weight restrict out of BUR.

As far as aviation firms go, are they only sharks if they defend the airlines
or just victims?  What if maintainance negligence is found to be the problem?
 Safety is most definately part of the contract of carriage, so if people are
put in danger, it is a breach of contract as well as a potential tort.  What
many people (notably you) don't understand is that in many cases, in order to
preserve your rights, you have to file suit early to satisfy the timeliness
requirements.  That also extends to manufacturers, where they may need to be
joined early in order to do discovery as to whether or not it was a defect or it
was negligent maintainance.  Non-lawyers don't understand how the law works,
but far too often make assumptions based on propaganda they have rammed down
their throats by insurance companies.  Here is something you probably don't
know.  Malpractice suits actually drove premiums down and health care quality up
for years simply because doctors took that much extra care in taking care of
patients.  When insurance companies decided to look for a way to justify massive
premium hikes, they blamed law suits.  Problem is, malpractice suits had
declined, along with the amount awarded, in that time.  As far as 70% of the cost
of a Cessna being related to the cost of litigation, perhaps that is because
Cessna had to actually put some safety into the aircraft.  I am sure that of
the $300-$400 thousand dollars one pays for a Cirrus SR-22, lots of that has to
do with the safety parachute and roll cage.  So, lawyers are doing a bad thing?

The reason the aircraft went to LAX is multi-fold.  First, if it went off the
end of the runway, it would cause far less damage to any surrounding area as
the end of 25L is a beach.  Second, LAX would not have traffic severly
affected, because it still had 3 runways to work with while they had to close 25L,
while LGB's only long runway would have been closed and flights, especially
jetBlue's flights, would be severly effected by having only 6000 feet of runway.
Beyond this, there is that much more emergency equipment at LAX than at LGB
because it is one of the busiest airports in the world, as opposed to one with
very limited service.  Finally, LAX has a major A320 operator hubbed at the
airport with big MX hangars on site.  The aircraft can just be towed over to
United and checked out there for damage and have parts replaced rather quickly.

Your attack on lawyers is completely uncalled for and an insult to the
thousands who work everyday to protect and preserve the rights you seem not to care
about

In a message dated 9/22/2005 3:39:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,