Re: Its Offical "787"

From: "David MR" <damiross3@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 7:11 PM

<snip>
> SO, why the 720?  William "Pat" Patterson, United's president, was
> impressed
> with the 707's performance but he felt the aircraft was too narrow.
> Boeing
> had told him the aircraft could be made longer but not wider.  However, it
> was later determined the 707 could be widen.  Patterson liked the 717 but
> was concerned his airline's image might suffer after going back to Boeing
> after ordering the DC-8.
<snip>
I didn't know the 720 was wider than the 707.  I know both were a little
wider than the KC135.

It has been claimed that at one point Patterson said United would never buy
an airplane whose designation ended with the number 7.

I don't know just why he had it in for Boeing.  United's first fast plane
was the Boeing 247D, but I think this was when Boeing had an ownership
interest in United.

Last night in bed I was suddenly struck with the realization that the
initial letter of 8 when spelled out was E.   Today I see they made it
official.  ("efficiency"????)

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gfoley9999/
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html