Trip report - I rode a ferry flight on the NW CRJ that crashed

On Saturday, August 9, 2003, I flew from Lansing to Minneapolis aboard
N8396A, the Pinnacle Canadair RJ that crashed Thursday night in Missouri. Like the
ill fated flight on Thursday night, my flight was a maintenance ferry flight;
the only people aboard were the pilots, a flight attendant, and myself. The
trip was taken only to add Lansing to my logbook. Here is my unedited trip report
from that day:

Joe Wolf

At LAN, the aircraft that was to be used for my LAN-MSP flight parked
nose-first toward the terminal; we boarded using the airstairs. When we were ready to
leave, the pilot moved the airplane forward, then tried to turn right - only
to discover that the nose gear steering was broken!

After trying to fix the steering for an hour, the decision was made to cancel
the flight. Apparently, one of the pins in the nose gear assembly was sheared
off, and neither Pinnacle nor any of the other airlines at LAN had a spare.
The passengers were to be reaccomodated on a 7:30 AM flight on August 10 from
LAN to MSP. Not relishing the prospect of an overnight stay in LAN, I asked if
there were plans to ferry the aircraft to MSP. The manager at LAN said he
wasn't sure; he told me to hang around in case they did ferry it. Around 9:30 PM,
1 1/2 hours after the flight was due to leave, he told me that they would be
ferrying the aircraft, and I was welcome to come along. Although there was
still a long line of passengers at the NW ticket counter being reticketed, the
crew felt the flight was risky enough that they didn't want to have
responsibility for revenue passengers. I was told the flight was "at my own risk".

The TSA had already closed up shop for the night, but one TSA inspector had
stood around just in case our flight wound up leaving that night. The X-Ray
machines had already been turned off, but instead of powering them back up, I
suggested that he just hand search my bag, which he did.

We were pushed back from our position at LAN, then after the engines were
started, we were towed all the way from the terminal to the "piano bars" on
Runway 26. After the tow truck had exited the runway, we took off.

Because I was the only passenger, all the lights in the cabin were turned
off, which meant I was able to get a spectacular view. The highlight of the trip
was a night view of the west shore of Lake Michigan. We crossed the west shore
north of Milwaukee, but we could see all the way to Gary at the lake's
southern end. There was a fireworks display along the lakeshore in the Racine /
Kenosha area; I was able to easily see the fireworks going off.

We finally arrived at MSP at 10:42, 2 1/2 hours late. We were able to make it
from Runway 12L to the alley between the A and B concourses under under our
own power, before we were towed into the gate; although the turns were a little
on the wide side, I don't know how the pilot was able to make the turns from
the runway to the alley. I'm just grateful I was allowed to fly on the ferry
flight, instead of having to spend the night at LAN.

The LAN airport was a classic example of the "build it and hopefully they
will come" school of airport design. The terminal is linear and narrow, like the
new terminal at SNA, and is more than 1/4 mile long. It has four jetways on
the second level of the terminal; each jetway's waiting room had more than 150
seats. There are also ten gates on the lower level for turboprops and RJs
(strangely, numbered 1A-1F, and 2-5) without seating, that can be accessed via an
air side escalator from the second level of the terminal. The terminal was as
lively as a mausoleum - in my 3 hours waiting to board my LAN-MSP flight, I was
the only passenger who even set foot in waiting rooms 8 and 9. On the land
side, only half of the ticket counter positions were in use. Although Allegiant
serves LAN 4x week, the only evidence of their service was an Allegiant sign
below the NW sign at gate 9, and a hanging Allegiant sign at one of the Comair
ticket counter positions. I didn't see any Allegiant collateral materials
anywhere at the airport.

It's obvious that LAN built a big terminal expansion in hopes of luring
Southwest or another low fare airline. Until that happens, though, LAN has a
terminal that is about 3 times bigger than what's needed.