Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:21:01 EDT
From: Dennis W Zeuch
Subject: Re: [Sky-1] 747F crash Halifax - Star Report

Robert.Fletcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> This is what happened to a cargo bird out of Mather airport (Sacramento)
> 3-4
> years ago, they had lifted off the ground, made a left turn, 180 degrees and
> went down in a auto wrecking yard next to the airport (Old AFB), the load on
> board WAS NOT TIED DOWN !

I recall even in Boston with Swissair--ground loading and handling was done
by Hudson General--$5.00 an hour East Boston kids,got NO training and usually
quit within 6 weeks so no one knew how to do anything except 2-3 supervisors
covering 35 acft at the same time. I t was up to people like me to climb into
the damn thing and double check the locks etc were in place with all the pallets
and containers. As everyone trys to save a buck this can happen very easily
these days...because there is no one left to climb in and double check........
Dennis

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:21:41 -0700
From: mgreenwood@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Plane's tail struck Halifax runway twice

Plane's tail struck Halifax runway twice

Last Updated Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:17:05 EDT
HALIFAX - The tail of a cargo-laden 747 jet that crashed early Thursday struck
the runway twice before snapping off as the plane tried to take off from
Halifax airport, investigators said Friday.

Transportation Safety Board investigator Bill Fowler said it appears the tail
of the MK Airlines Ltd. plane made contact with the runway twice: the first
time about 250 metres from the end of the runway, then again about 80 metres
further along the runway.

The plane's fuselage came to rest a kilometre past the runway.
"The indication is there was prolonged contact of the aft fuselage with the
runway and off the end of the runway," Fowler said during a briefing Friday
morning.

He said the plane then became "briefly airborne," striking an antenna mounted
on a berm (a raised bank of earth) about 300 metres from the end of the
runway.

FROM OCT. 14, 2004: Probe begins into deadly cargo jet crash
Now missing its tail and out of control, the main fuselage travelled through a
wooded area at the end of the runway, snapping off treetops and power lines
before coming to a rest in a blazing heap a kilometre away.

"The main part of the fuselage continued... ballistically until the final
impact point," Fowler he said.

He said investigators were looking into a report from an airport worker that
the plane didn't use the entire length of the 2,700-metre runway, but entered
it at the 2,000-metre mark.

"We do not have any information that there was an early takeoff point ? that
is, substantially early," said Fowler.

All seven crew members on board the plane were killed.

Fowler said most of the remains of the victims, from Zimbabwe and South
Africa, have been removed from the wreckage and are in a secure area.

Interactive: Cargo Plane Crash

When asked whether the Halifax airport has a ground radar system, which lets
controllers see aircraft movement in real time, Fowler said he didn't believe
so. He wasn't sure whether most major Canadian airports have ground radar
systems.

One of the airport's runways remains closed, said Halifax airport spokesperson
Pat Chapman. Some of the navigational equipment damaged in the crash cannot be
replaced until the end of November and the airport is working to ensure
service isn't disrupted, she said.

John Power, the operations manager for MK Airlines, defended what he called
the company's "excellent" safety record during Friday morning's briefing.
Thursday's crash was the company's fourth accident in the 14 years he has
worked for them, he said.

The other crashes, in 1992, 1996 and 2001, all took place in Nigeria, he said.
One person was killed in one of the crashes.

The jet had been taking a load of lawn tractors and seafood to Spain when the
crash happened.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:36:31 -0700
From: "Fletcher, Robert SPK"

I take it your are/were a load master? I can remember being a apprentice
loadmaster in training on the old C-124s out of Donaldson ABF in S.C., what
ever the shipment was, the tie downs and all the webbing was so tight an nat
could have never gotten through! I am sure the same thing is true on the
C-5s to Iraq and etc. Are any proceedures different between civil and
military aircraft in regards to cargos? do we have any present and former
loadmasters on board this net? Bob

BOB FLETCHER
US ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS
MILITARY DESIGN SECTION