Re: Airport Architecture

There's a dramatic difference between 'attractive' and 'functional.'

Certain airports are constrained by their surroundings (LaGuardia -
LGA, Regan -DCA, SanFran -SFO.)

Certain airports fit their surroundings (Vancouver - YVR - it
essentially fills an island)

The most attractive airports are often the least functional. (Denver --
horrible in  my opinion)

The most functional are often the least attractive (Atlanta -
efficient, but butt ugly)

Some just are things that weren't planned, they just happened; O'Hare
for example.

Overall, I would nominate my home town airport of Vancouver as one of
the better airports (architecturally speaking) in the world.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=663823/M/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=401874/M/

- The island (Sea Island) is almost completely filled with modern,
properly aligned runways
- The new terminal (International/USA) is stunning.  Multi-story walls
of glass looking out to Vancouver, and the mountains beyond.
- The US/International arrivals "diorama" which simulates a typical
west-coast beach is both welcoming home to British Columbian residents
and enticing to tourists (it almost brings tears to my eyes, after
being away for a while even if it is somewhat corny
http://display.maxvr.com/mapviewer/panoviewer1_yvr.asp?imageid=3318)
- Stores/Restaurants are excellent including numerous Tim Horton's
(Canadian's Intra-venous source of coffee) and 7-Eleven.
- My flight can put it's wheels down at 10pm, and I'll be OFF the
airport property by 10:15pm. Including clearing customs, collecting
baggage and hailing a cab. (For an airport with 20 million PAX per
year, that's impressive.)

Matthew