Re: Industry Changes

Can you point us toward this "solid evidence"?  Presumably, even if it did
occur in the early 90s, such below cost pricing is no longer present in the
industry today, a well over a decade later.  It seems hard to fathom that
business conditions in 1990 contributed significantly to problems
experienced in 2004.  I think United would point to its wage agreements from
2000, as well as intense competition from discount carriers, as far more
important factors in its bankruptcy than below cost pricing by CO in the
early 90s.  The airline business is an unquestioned oligopoly.  As long as
the industry is not dying, prices rise in oligopolistic competition.

Plus, there is nothing illegal about pricing below cost.  And CO did not
finance this purported pricing on the backs of shareholders.  They were
wiped out the moment the company filed for bankruptcy the first time.  When
it pulled out the second, it was through $450 million in financing from Air
Partners/Air Canada.

Free markets are NOT supposed to ensure that a formerly regulated market
will function freely after deregulation.  Regulated markets are, by
definition, not free.  Removing regulation does not suddenly cause every
participant to wake up and rejoice that their bonds have been lifted.  Look
at AT&T: deregulation has killed the company because it had no concept of
how to compete in a free market.  Same with electric power.  Same with most
formerly Communist countries.  A mindset develops in employees and
management in regulated industries that is antithetical to what is needed to
function effectively in a free market.  Risk taking is non-existent and
there is no entrepreneurial spirit.  Deregulation cannot instill those value
overnight.

I don't question your position that bankruptcy imposes a certain friction in
the free market.  But it is a friction we accept because we believe that the
benefits of a second chance and an orderly reorganization outweigh the
impact on the free market.