SFGate: Delta pilots say company could fall into bankruptcy if management persists with concessions proposal

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2004/08/04/f=
inancial1654EDT0279.DTL
Wednesday, August 4, 2004 (AP)
Delta pilots say company could fall into bankruptcy if management persists =
with concessions proposal
HARRY R. WEBER, AP Business Writer

   (08-04) 13:54 PDT ATLANTA (AP) --
   Delta Air Lines' pilots union said Wednesday the struggling carrier will
edge closer to bankruptcy if management continues to seek $1 billion in
concessions from them without asking other stakeholders to tighten their
belts.
   The chairman of the union's executive committee, John Malone, made the
comment in a strongly worded letter to other pilots.
   "Management's proposal appears to have only one purpose -- to exploit the
current situation and attack our profession by destroying our contract,"
Malone wrote.
   The letter was a response to the Atlanta-based airline's request Friday
for the pilots union to give up $1 billion in concessions, including a 35
percent pay cut and work, scheduling and pension changes.
   The union, which represents 7,500 active Delta pilots, had proposed a 23
percent pay cut and other concessions that would save the airline up to
$705 million a year.
   Delta, the nation's third-largest airline, has warned that it may have to
file for bankruptcy if it doesn't get deep concessions from pilots. CEO
Gerald Grinstein said in a letter to pilots Friday that the company's
request is the minimum it needs to survive.
   But Malone, in his letter, said management has failed to include other
stakeholders in Delta's effort to cut costs.
   "Either management will figure out what it 'needs,' address our equity
requirements and make other stakeholders participants in a comprehensive
restructuring, or we will take another path," Malone wrote.
   The comment appeared to be a threat of action by the union, but union
spokesman Chris Renkel said it was not meant that way. He said the union
was referring to the path the company will take if it doesn't compromise.
   In a hot line message to Delta employees Wednesday, Grinstein said all
company groups are being asked to make sacrifices, not just pilots. He
also said the company is working to restructure the company's debt,
renegotiate aircraft leases and reconstruct Delta's relationship with
vendors and suppliers.
   "I had sincerely hoped that our airline's financial situation could be
stabilized in time to avoid the need for a greater level of sacrifice from
our pilots and additional contributions from all employees who have
already contributed," Grinstein said. "But with fuel now at $40 (per
barrel), our financial situation -- already urgent -- is worse, and time
is running out."
   Delta's other work groups, including flight attendants and maintenance
crews, are not unionized. Delta officials have said there have been
concessions in some areas by other employees. For instance, the company
has said nonunion employees now pay a higher amount toward their health
insurance. That has resulted in a reduction in those employees' take-home
pay, spokeswoman Meghan Glynn said. She did not give specifics.
   Delta's pilots, among the highest paid in the industry, earn between
$100,000 and $300,000 a year, Delta has said.
   Glynn said management is willing to work with the union, but noted the
airline's financial situation is serious.
   "This is not a take-it-or-leave-it process," Glynn said. "There was and =
is
no intent to be punitive or to affix blame. Our motivation is and remains
to avoid bankruptcy and rebuild a viable airline."
   Delta has lost more than $5 billion and laid off 16,000 employees in the
last three years. It has been hit hard by high fuel costs and competition
from low-fare carriers.
   In his letter to fellow pilots, Malone said the union understands the
company's plight, but believes the airline needs to stop looking mostly to
them to solve all of its problems.
   "Has management decided to assault the profession because the opportunity
exists -- because they know the airline cannot be restructured outside of
Chapter 11 and they need a scapegoat?" Malone wrote. "Is management trying
to fix the problem or affix the blame? We may never know the answers to
these questions."

On the Net:
   Company: www.delta.com
   Pilots union: www.dalpa.com