Re: Plane Face-Off Shuts Narita Runway

Thinking more about the Narita question, I suspect that Korean delayed when
holding short of the runway, the wind shifted, and the controllers forgot it
was there and turned the airport around to let KLM be the first to land in
the other direction.

To continue with the airport direction problem.

Port Columbus (CMH) has two runways, 10R-28L, 8000 feet, and 10L-28R, 10000
feet, separated by enough that there is no interference.   Traffic is so
light that I never remember two aircraft landing on the two at the same
time.  It seems as if the controllers put the traffic where it will have
least taxiing to do.   This means that most GA goes on the 10000 foot runway
because the facility is on that side of the field.  Something less than half
the gates are there too, so some airline traffic lands and departs from the
long runway too.  More than half of the gates are on the other (North) side
of the terminal, so most airlines use the 8000 foot runway, as do Executive
Jet, or whatever it is called now, which is on the other side of the short
runway.

Our prevailing winds are from the west, south west to northwest.  Thus most
of the time the runways are 10R and 10L.  Occasionally the wind is from the
other half of the circle, and the runways in use are 28L and 28R (this is
mainly in the evening).

I have asked these questions of a friend who has been at CMH ATC for forty
or so years, but he has never seemed to understand what I am talking about:

Who decides to switch from 10 to 28?

Is there a firm rule?

When you switch, what is the minumum time between action on 10 and
succeeding action on 28?

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gfoley9999/
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html