Re: NYTimes.com Article: Memo Pad: On-Time Flights Are Up Sharply

Another factor is that most hub-n-spoke airlines have spread-out the
intensity of their banks. AA has indicated their bank times have gone
from something like one hour to 90 minutes.

This has three results:

1) Increase waiting time on the ground for pax between flights (minor)
2) Decrease the total staff required to turn-the-bank (key labour cost
savings)
3) Improve aircraft flow in-and-out reducing delays even further.
(several beneficial improvements)

All contribute to having more 'on-time' arrivals. (That, and of course,
padding the flight times.)

Matthew

http://www.redmac.ca - Getting Canadian's their Macintosh accessories
http://www.justaddanoccasion.com - Great gift ideas, featuring smoked