NYTimes.com Article: On the Road: Maybe Pilots Should Stick to the Script

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

 From the warped minds behind SUPER TROOPERS...

Fox Searchlight Pictures is proud to present BROKEN LIZARD'S CLUB DREAD
in theaters everywhere FEBRUARY 27.  Surrounded by limber, wanton women
on a booze-soaked island resort owned by Coconut Pete (Bill Paxton) - a
rock star has-been. But the non-stop party takes a turn for the weird
when dead bodies start turning up faster than you could drink a rum
punch.  Watch the trailer and join the bloggin fun on the official
website at http://www.clubdread.com

On the Road: Maybe Pilots Should Stick to the Script

February 10, 2004
 By JOE SHARKEY

Granted, probably the very last thing you'd want to hear
over the public address system from the cockpit of an
airplane is someone shouting "Allahu akbar!" which
translates as "God is great,'' but also is known as a
terrorist battle cry.

Still, a pilot who gets on the public address and says,
essentially, "Let us all now pray to Jesus" is also sure to
make more than a few passengers nervous, for any of a
number of religious, cultural or strategic reasons.

This was the situation faced by passengers aboard American
Airlines Flight 34 on Friday morning, soon after the Boeing
767 reached cruising altitude after takeoff from Los
Angeles en route to New York.

Many were startled when the pilot, Rodger K. Findiesen,
came on the public address and asked those passengers who
were Christians to raise their hands.

An American spokesman, Tim Wagner, described the incident
as he said the pilot himself later related it to his
superiors.

"This pilot had recently returned form a Christian fishing
trip to Costa Rica and felt like he should share his
excitement," Mr. Wagner said. "He did ask that the
Christians on board raise their hands and identify
themselves, and suggested that everyone who didn't raise
their hands might want to speak to those who did about
their faith" during the four and a half hour flight.

When the plane landed, many passengers reported being
upset.

News accounts over the weekend said that the pilot called
passengers who did not accept Christ "crazy," but Mr.
Wagner said that it was American's understanding that the
pilot actually "said something along the line of 'look at
all these crazy people who were willing to raise their
hands.' "

Mr. Wagner added, "He did say that if any passenger wished
to speak to him he would make himself available after the
flight to talk."

Reached at his home yesterday in Annapolis, Md., Mr.
Findiesen said he had no comment.

American Airlines began a private inquiry Friday into what
Mr. Wagner described as the pilot's "poor judgment" and
"inappropriate" comments.

The pilot has not been suspended, but is "not scheduled to
fly for a few days," he said.

American's 11,000 pilots are covered by "policies that
affect all our employees" regarding the discussion of
"topics that are inappropriate in the workplace with other
employees and with our customers," he said.

"Our policies center around making all of our customers
feel comfortable when they fly on American. We realize that
we operate in a society with people from varied and diverse
backgrounds."

Flight crews are not only intensely supervised by airlines
and federal regulators, they also have strong internal
controls - through peer pressure and labor union procedures
- that work to identify and correct violations of
professional standards or behavior.

Even if it had not become news, an instance of a pilot's
using his authority on a plane to evangelize for religious
converts would have been immediately reported by other crew
members and dealt with appropriately, one pilot I spoke
with said.

Most airlines have training procedures and operational
policies in effect to cover things like flight
announcements.

"Our crews have specific guidelines, and one of those rules
is to not express personal or political views," said Julie
King, a spokeswoman for Continental Airlines.

Catherine Stengel, a Delta Air Lines spokeswoman, said, "we
pretty much do it in training; we go over what the speaking
announcements are," though crew members are sometimes
"allowed to tailor those announcements for special
circumstances," among them the often poignant speeches some
pilots made to passengers shortly after 9/11, she said. "We
haven't had any problems," Ms. Stengel added.

Turning the airplane into a revival tent aside, there is
nevertheless a trove of cockpit lore about pilots who get
innocuously carried away on the public address system -
sometimes with flights of eloquence set off by something as
mundane as a pretty cloud formation.

G. Bruce Hedlund, a pilot for 19 years with a major
airline, recalled once being in the cockpit after a takeoff
on a dark, cloudy day when the aircraft suddenly burst
through the clouds into a bright blue sun-washed sky.

Beside him, his co-pilot took to the public address system
and seemed to stay on for an inordinately long time.

"I flipped the switch to monitor the P.A. just in time to
hear him complete the final two lines of the poem, 'High
Flight,' " said Mr. Hedlund, who repeated for me the first
two lines of the long, rhapsodic poem (beloved by pilots),
by John Gillespie Magee Jr., a Royal Canadian Air Force
pilot killed in action in the early days of World War II:

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced
the skies on laughter-silvered wings!"

"He had recited this whole thing to the passengers because
it was just such a beautiful day," said Mr. Hedlund, who
added, "I also flew with a guy who would blow a train
whistle on the P.A. when we were ready to go."

Some airlines - among them Southwest Airlines, JetBlue,
Delta's Song and a few other low-cost carriers - actively
encourage crews, especially flight attendants, to entertain
passengers with jokes and wisecracks.

While this has received good notices, I can imagine such
fun and games may sometimes rub some people the wrong way.
I'd like to hear from readers who have views either way on
that.

Rene Foss is a flight attendant for a major airline who is
the author of the humorous book "Around the World in a Bad
Mood" (Hyperion, 2002) and who performs on her off-time in
a one-woman show with the same title. She isn't a fan of
ad-libbing in the air.

"My motto personally is pretty much stick to the script, by
the book," she said. "Of course, I can get up on the stage
later and say whatever I want to say."

On the Road appears each Tuesday. E-mail:
jsharkey@xxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/10/business/10road.html?ex=1077437856&ei=1&en=398f1ccea17a7361

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company