Re: Tripling of Capacity for Air Traffic

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Bahadir Acuner" <bahadiracuner@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 10:44 PM
Subject: Re: Tripling of Capacity for Air Traffic

> Bush administration has a lot of "cutting and outsourcing" plans in =
the
> works for FAA. One of the things they were/are planning to do is to =
close
> most of the flight service stations. They are claiming that internet, =
online
> resources and DUATS will be a nice and less costly replacement for =
that.
> None of them being stuck in an airport with no facilities except a =
phone, I
> can assure you that this will cause more and  more pilots leaving with =
no
> preflight briefings before their flights.

Just out of curiousity if I read what you say correctly, what airport =
still has a co-located FSS?  If you have to brief by phone, does it =
matter where the briefer is located?  What percentage of your flights do =
you contact an FSS before departing?  Not having flown recently I cannot =
speak about current effectiveness of the FSS's.
>=20
> On top of that they are arguing that ATC controllers should and can be
> outsourced. AOPA has been fighting this left and right.

Isn't AOPA's iron in the fire more about the potential to have to pay =
for ATC services rather than safety?  I must apologize at not having =
kept up on the list of potential contract towers.  But I don't recall =
anything other than what was referred to as a Level I VFR tower on the =
list.  The safety level has not been compromised (as far as I know) at =
any of thepreviously contracted towers.

>=20
> I guess by not investing in the infrastructure that needs work, they =
are
> going to make the system less reliable. You can only look at the =
computer
> problems that ZJAX went through last week.

Once again I must plead being uninformed.  What happened to Jacksonville =
Center's radar?
Was it the radar or automation?
> While they are spending like crazy in unnecessary things like =
rebuilding
> Iraq, I guess cutting FAA's budget will make more sense..
Baha, I am not necessarily a fan of privatization but I like to consider =
myself a realist.

Al

>=20
> BAHA
> Fan of FAA and the great people in there..
>=20
RWM
> Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 7:27 PM
> To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Tripling of Capacity for Air Traffic
>=20
> ATC facilities and equipment cut by 16% but where's the confusion?
>=20
> "Smoke and mirrors" is far less costly than tangible improvement.
>=20
>=20
> "Herman R. Silbiger" wrote:
> >
> > To make this possible I read a news report that a 17% cut in funds =
for
> > the FAA is being proposed..
> >

> > >Date:    Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:54:34 -0500
> > >From:    Bill Hough <psa188@xxxxxxxx>