Re: Tripling of Capacity for Air Traffic

Let me try to answer some questions:

Checking with FSS:

-          If I am in the pattern , I don't call FSS.

-          If it's a local flight I get an abbreviated briefing.

-          If it's a cross country I check the "area forecast" that most
pilots decline or don't listen.

My preflight weather briefing involves Internet, DUATS and THEN talking to
FSS. Most of the times DUATS or any other PC involved the information is not
that reliable. One of the things that I really like to see is PIREPs, as
icing is a major concern in SEA area in the winter time. There is no better
way than talking to a live briefer , over the phone that is.

I went into an FSS only once in my life. That was in Leesburg, (KJYO) and
that felt awkward. I don't have a problem with talking to them over the
phone, as a matter of fact it's more convenient. But if the FSSs diminish,
or go private there will be some problems in terms of different FSSs talking
to each other. I don't know if you know but there are still problems in
terms of flight plan availability between the FSSs already. More than once,
I wasn't able to close my VFR flight plan that I had filed with SEA FSS when
I was down in Oregon, because McWinville (sp?) FSS didn't have my flight
plan.

As far as AOPA, I have a sour memory of them treating me like crap when
Department of Homeland Security decided to stop training green card holding
pilots (We covered this before, so no need to do it again) but overall they
are here to protect the aviation in general, and general aviation in
particular. At this point, general aviation is struggling pretty bad with
increased cost of rentals because of crazy insurance rates. I was able to
rent a Piper Arrow for $70 5 years ago, and now the same bird is $115.

The point that I am trying to make it is that if we have privatized ATC that
will involve user fees all the flight schools, all that recreational flying
will be kissed good-bye for ever. We will be like Europe that only airlines
will be able to train pilots, and only few rich will be able to benefit from
general aviation.. We don't want that to happen..

Have a good weekend,

BAHA

FAN of being able to fly.

  _____