NYTimes.com Article: Finding J.F.K. Is Easy: First, Find the AirTrain.

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

Finding J.F.K. Is Easy: First, Find the AirTrain.

January 20, 2004
 By SUSAN SAULNY

Logistically, things were not going well yesterday for
Natalie and Atis Lode, whose attempt to get from Manhattan
to Kennedy International Airport started with a ride in the
wrong direction on the E train.

The E train was supposed to take them to the new AirTrain
light rail service in Jamaica, Queens - and eventually it
did, once they reversed course - so they could catch the
AirTrain to J.F.K.

Once they finally arrived at Jamaica Station, they wandered
about Sutphin Boulevard and Archer Avenue looking for the
AirTrain.

After standing in line at the Long Island Rail Road counter
at the Jamaica Station, they received directions from an
employee. They walked about a half-block to the sleek glass
home of the AirTrain's Station D stop, but learned that the
ticket machines were not taking credit cards, as they
should, and since they had no small bills to pay the $5
fare, it was back to the L.I.R.R. for Mr. Lode, in search
of change.

Despite the minor inconveniences, the Lodes, who are from
Melbourne, Australia, said they still liked the AirTrain.
"We just had a few problems finding it," Mrs. Lode said.

Holiday travel days like yesterday are the days that
AirTrain faces a real test: many newcomers are having their
first encounter with the system, and with its
idiosyncrasies. Despite some confusion, however, most
welcomed the new way to get to the airport. The idea is
wonderful, riders said. The convenience is great. But first
we have to figure it out.

"I think they just don't have all the signage up yet, and
they really need that," said Sheilah Navat, who was on her
way with her daughter, Aja, 12, to San Francisco.

Ms. Navat did have nice things to say, too.

"The price is
fair, I suppose, considering the alternatives," she said.
"And I love the big turnstiles."

Some passengers expressed concerns about the weather and
traffic and said they chose the train with the hope of
avoiding the difficulties that are involved in getting to
J.F.K., which is known as one of the nation's most
inaccessible major airports.

Port Authority officials estimated that 34,000 passengers
would use AirTrain per day in its first year, and that the
numbers would grow. So far, after about a month of
operation, the train has about 15,000 to 20,000 riders a
day, said Tiffany Townsend, a spokeswoman for the Port
Authority.

"Over all, things are going very well," she said. "With
ridership increasing, we're moving toward meeting our goal.
It's still early on."

Ms. Townsend said there were no plans to increase the
number of signs along the system or to change their
placement. But once a few passenger anecdotes were related
to her, she said: "Obviously, this is a customer service.
If we feel the need to augment the number of signs or the
placement of signs, we will."

Pamela Peralta, a Columbia graduate student who was
returning for classes from visiting her family in Lima,
Peru, found the view remarkable. "The train was very
pretty," she said. "I don't know, maybe it's because it is
winter, but it all looked very pretty outside, too."

But, alas, some luxuries are hard to give up, and for Anna
Lee, a Barnard student who had recently landed, that meant
she was taking a taxi.

"I just recently heard about the train," she said, lugging
her bags to the first available cab outside Terminal 4.
There was no line. "But I just came from South Korea, I'm
really exhausted, and I just couldn't deal with it."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/20/nyregion/20air.html?ex=1075608751&ei=1&en=263c0a47d2ae19c2

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company