Response from NW

Recently I wrote to NW about my displeasure about them supplying NASA with
pax information on flights after Sept 11. Here's their response. I thought
NASA stands of National Aeronautics and Space Administration. I know that in
the past U2s were flying under NASA missions when they were doing work for
CIA, but what is the scope of NASA's work definition? Should I expect NASA
agents to come knocking on my door? :-)

BAHA

Fan of civil liberties , or whatever is left out of it.

Fan of ordering a movie at the hotel tonight at 8pm.. or better yet
re-readings "Lies and Lying Liars who tell them" at that time :-)

Dear Mr. Acuner,

Thank you for sharing your views regarding the NASA aviation security
research study.  We are sorry if the study concerns you.

In the aftermath of September 11, 2001, NASA had discussions with
Northwest's security department regarding a research study to improve
aviation security.  Northwest agreed to provide data for the period July,
August, and September 2001 for NASA's exclusive use in its research study.
The NASA study has been discontinued and the passenger data returned to
Northwest Airlines.  By providing the passenger name record data directly to
NASA, a federal agency with its own strict privacy protections, Northwest
acted appropriately and consistent with its own privacy policy and all
applicable federal laws.

"Northwest Airlines' current policy is to not provide passenger name record
data to private contractors or federal government agencies for use in
aviation security research projects.  While Northwest Airlines still
believes it would be appropriate to provide such data to the U.S.

Government to advance aviation security, in light of current privacy
concerns, Northwest believes a data protection protocol addressing privacy
concerns should be developed before any further aviation security research
with passenger data is conducted."

For the full news release, you may access our website at www.nwa.com.

Thank you for writing, Mr. Acuner.  We hope to have the opportunity of
welcoming you onboard in the future.

Sincerely,

Gloria Krammer

Customer Relations