Plane off Runway at SYR

=20
www.news10now.com

Plane goes off runway at Hancock Airport
Updated: 1/13/2004 11:18:14 AM
By: News 10 Now Staff=20

A Continental Express regional jet went off the runway at Syracuse's =
Hancock
International Airport on Tuesday.=20

The Continental Express Jet was on the taxi-way about to take off for =
Newark,
New Jersey. The weather was poor and the visibility was even worse. =
According
to the pilot, she couldn't see where she was going and drove the plane =
off
the taxi-way.

"Because of blowing snow, the pilot lost sight of the taxiway at the
intersection and rolled off the edge," said Rahsaan Johnson, Continental
Airlines' Corporate Communications Office.=20

Thirty passengers were onboard the jet, but none of them were injured. =
They
were all bussed back to the airport where Continental arranged for them =
take another flight out.

Even though those passengers made it out safely, other passengers taking =
off
on different flights didn't feel so safe.

"I'm flying to Columbus, Ohio, and it's freaking me out a little. I came =
here
three weeks ago and was just visiting my boyfriend and I asked him that =
it's
such bad weather in Syracuse and there's so much snow, would it be safe =
for
the flight and everything?" asked traveler Somya Saxena.

Some say with the weather in Syracuse, the incident wasn't a surprise.

"I mean, the weather's been so bad the past couple of weeks, that, I'm =
sure
they're doing the best they can. At that particular time, the weather =
took
over and took the best of the crew, I guess," said Ailas Joshi, who was
seeing a friend off.

The speed at the time of the mishap was estimated to be five miles per =
hour.=20

The plane never entered the active runway.

No runways or other flights were affected by the incident.

Mechanics are currently looking at the plane and expect it to be moved =
from
the ramp before the end of the day.