From: John Fitzpatrick [mailto:johnfitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 1:59 AM
To: orders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [orders] CX may order 773ER: ATWOnline

Not a surprise, given what we've discussed over the past few days, but what
a kick in the teeth for Airbus and the 340.

I'm wondering if this might affect the 380. If that type is seen to be
falling short on its promises, (a) will airlines doubt promises made about
the 380 and (b) will it undermine Airbus's commonality advantage? After all,
commonality isn't much use if the aircraft itself is falling short.

We know what happened to the MD11 after SIA dumped and while I don't think
this will happen to the 340, it will certainly affect sales for the type.
SQ, possibly VS and NZ, might be tempted away from it and no doubt there
will be others in the market for an aircraft this size, who could be swayed.

John F.