The Cactus Shuttle

In a message dated 1/8/2004 6:59:14 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
dwl@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Yeah, especially given the rather short list of people in a position to buy
> the shuttle operation.
>
> UAL is probably in no position to do so, CO could, but is focused at the
> wrong airport, DL has no need, NWA probably can't
> afford it, and doesn't have the east coast position.... AMR, probably would
> love it. I expect they could figure out how
> to do it, but they aren't exactly rolling in cash. JetBlue? Tempting I
> expect. Who else has a big enough presence in the NY metro area to justify
> buying it? Or perhaps, who wants a bigger presence in the market?

If it weren't for the conditions on the Govt guarantee, it would make perfect
sense for America West.  A stronger presence at BOS, LGA & DCA would create
interest in their west bound traffic (already HP has non-stoppers out of Boston
and Noo Yawk to the left coast).  Their costs are a lot lower than US Airways
and they could always pick up a bunch of additional aircraft on the cheap.
And don't forget, Cactus was in the hunt years ago for one of the shuttles.

RT Simpson
Phoenix