From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Matthew Montano
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2003 1:34 PM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: AC's 90 jet RJ order

The RJ order was no rumour, EMB/Bombardier have been having a series =3D =
of=3D20
bake-offs for nearly a half-year, mostly since AC announced their=3D =
=3D20
intention in May or so to go heavily RJ with a good number of their=3D =
=3D20
current and future domestic and trans-border routes.

I would disagree on the WestJet longer route opinion. WestJet has bee=3D =
n=3D20
squeezing AC and their Zip brand on numerous smaller routes across th=3D =
e=3D20
country, but AC still owns the long-haul.

If you want to connect through the international gateways YYZ/YUL/YVR=3D =
=3D20
you have no choice but to make AC your airline.

And AC is setting themselves up very nicely to do US->Europe and=3D20
US->Asia flights through YVR and YYZ. They have better geographically=3D
=3D20
positioned gateways, the advantage of flight timing and then some.

If you live in Portland, would you want to fly to SFO or YVR to conne=3D =
ct=3D20
to Narita? If you live in New Orleans, would you want to connect in Y=3D =
YZ=3D20
or ATL to head across the pond?

Milton and his buddies may not have made a lot of friends, but they=3D =
=3D20
aren't complete morons. ;-)

Matthew

On Dec 21, 2003, at 1:15 PM, Michael A. Burris wrote:

> AIRLINE:
>
> This must have been what someone thought about AC purchasing B747's=3D
.
> I have heard of no 'official' word on them, so it must have been th=3D
ese
> smaller, CRJ's that was the rumor.
>
> This is proof that AC is focusing its efforts on the smaller market=3D
> since it can't seem to win against WestJet on the longer routes.
>
> Mike Burris
> Cambridge, Mass USA
>

>> Anyone take notice of Air Canada's 90 firm-jet order.
>>
>> This announcement was supposed to be a joint Star Alliance order, =3D
but
>> AC reportedly had a desire to complete negotiations earlier.
>>
>> It's split between a number of:
>>
>>   - CRJ-200's
>>   - CRJ-705s
>>   - EMB190's
>>
>> Are all of these going to the mainline, or Jazz?
>>
>> What's the diff between the 700 and 705?
>>
>> Supposedly Boeing was in this running with their stubby 717.
>>
>> There was a Mr. RJ on the list who probably knows =3D8F=3D08iZanswers =
=3D
off the
>> back of their hand.
>>
>> Matthew