Re: NYTimes.com Article: US Airways; Stock Hurt By Southwest

> Why US Airways is better than WN ? :
>
> 1. No stamped at the boarding.
I haven't seen this.  WN pax tend to be orderly when boarding.

> 2. Better (read more comfortable) airplanes thanks to the extra inch on the
> seat width.
> (That makes a diff)
Measured how?  From inside armrest to inside armrest or from the outside of the armrest?
I do know the seats on WN are wider than the 737-400 of AS.  Are you comparing
WN to US 737's or to the entire US fleet in general?

> 3. First class for some people who prefer perks such as upgrades.
Unless you are takinga  long flight (4 or more hours), I don't see much need for
paying the much higher F fare.

> 4. Better food than WN. (On United they serve a full meal on PHL- LAX
> nonstops)
> I also like the idea of purchasing food on the airplane. Those fruit salads
> for $5
> are much healtier and tastier compared to the McD's.
The purpose of an airline flight is to get you from point A to point safely.  An
airilne is not a restaurant.   On most US flights (i.e. ones with the 48 contigous
states), I don't see a need for anything more than a snack.  Most of these flights
are under 2-3 hours - if you can't go without eating for that long, then that's
a problem to be taken up with a shrink.

> 5. Assigned seats. (Go to www.seatguru.com and see the good seats)
I don't like assigned seating but some do. The seats I like cannot be assigned
until you get to the airport anyways (this is the bulkhead/emergency exit seats)

> 6. Code share with LH.. I can buy one ticket on US/UA and travel all around
> the world. If I was traveling SEA-PHL-FRA-IST then I 'd buy my ticket from
> one
> source, check my luggage at one place and get them in IST.
> Not only that if I was traveling in two tickets one on WN with SEA-PHL-SEA
> routing,
> and PHL-FRA-IST on another ticket and if my flight from FRA was late, I'd be
> screwed.
This is an apple to oranges comparison.  WN has never interlined with other airlines -
that's not its business plan.

> 7. Lastly, better pax profile.. :)
Yea, yea, yea :)
> BAHA
> Fan of avoiding WN as best as I can.

You forgot to mention some things that make WN a better airline than the others:
- Friendly cabin crew - they don't think they are doing you a favor.  They know
where their salaries come from.

- profitable - you know the airline will be there when you start your return flight.

- no hubs - you can fly from a to b without going out of your way through a hub

- club seating - although, sadly, this is going away

- They have the registration right next to the door where it's easy to see when you
board the aircraft.  No trying to read the small registration certificate above
the entry door.

David R