Re: Question about a traveling through FRA

In a message dated 11/11/2003 11:04:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bahadiracuner@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Ok boyz and girls.. I am planning to travel YUL-FRA-IST and back over the
 Thanksgiving and the cheapest airline fare I can find is $2200CAD with AC/LH
 combination. Now, if I split the ticket in 2, YUL-FRA-YUL on AC and
 FRA-IST-FRA on LH (or even cheaper in TK) the fare goes down to $1100CAD..

 Now, I know that I am risking missing my flight with TK or LH if something
 happens to YUL-FRA flight, and I will have to get outside the customs area,
 pick up my luggage and check in for my FRA-IST flight. BUT, what happens if
 I have only carry on?
 Will I be able to do my check in at FRA at the gate? Would this raise red
 flags in German Customs who actually come to the airplane and meet EVERY
 SINGLE pax in IST-FRA flights? >>

I know FRA has transit lonuges, so it is quite possible you will be able to
interline your luggage between flights, even with seperate tix.  It is not like
flying WN or FR and having no interline.
I do believe you can check in at FRA at the gate and your green card should
prevent problems with the IST-FRA flight (We did not have a problem with Die
Bundespolitzei when going IST-FRA-LAX, even though my father is an Iranian
national with a US green card.  The only time he was ever held up was with the
constant checking at the LH desk in IST that no other green card holder was
subject to and with a wife and son with blue passports)