Question about a traveling through FRA

Ok boyz and girls.. I am planning to travel YUL-FRA-IST and back over the
Thanksgiving and the cheapest airline fare I can find is $2200CAD with AC/LH
combination. Now, if I split the ticket in 2, YUL-FRA-YUL on AC and
FRA-IST-FRA on LH (or even cheaper in TK) the fare goes down to $1100CAD..

Now, I know that I am risking missing my flight with TK or LH if something
happens to YUL-FRA flight, and I will have to get outside the customs area,
pick up my luggage and check in for my FRA-IST flight. BUT, what happens if
I have only carry on?
Will I be able to do my check in at FRA at the gate? Would this raise red
flags in German Customs who actually come to the airplane and meet EVERY
SINGLE pax in IST-FRA flights?

Konstantin, are you there? :)

BAHA
Fan of Star Alliance, but more fan when they provide real pricing...