Sardine seats: 5 worst economy-class sections

SOURCE: Microsoft bCentral
http://www.bcentral.com/articles/elliott/155.asp

Sardine seats: 5 worst economy-class sections

Power Trip / Christopher Elliott
For many experienced travelers, sitting in an economy-class section is=20
about as desirable as eating nothing but peanut-butter crackers for 12=20
hours.

Many travel pros will go to great lengths to avoid the back of the=20
plane. They'll plead for upgrades to business class. They'll hover=20
around the gate and argue with the overworked airline employees. They'll=20
even wait until the next flight if there's a chance they can score an=20
upgrade.

Not all tourist-class sections are created equal, of course. Carriers=20
such as Midwest Airlines, American Airlines and JetBlue Airways=20
occasionally offer more legroom, better in-flight entertainment or more=20
palatable meals to customers sitting in the sardine seats.

You probably already know about these steerage sections with class =97=20
either from one of the surveys published by Travel + Leisure, The=20
Official Airline Guide, or our good friends at J.D. Power & Associates,=20
or from one of the many travel articles that have praised these standout=20
airlines.

It's nice to be positive, and I've even written columns mentioning the=20
various cattle-car sections that don't violate our human rights. I think=20
it's important to mention the good airlines.

But what about the worst offenders? These are the carriers that pack us=20
in, treat us worse than livestock, and then deposit us at an airport=20
terminal, where we vow never to fly on a commercial airline again.

Don't look to the surveys for help here. Instead, I recently turned to=20
you to tag the five worst offenders among the domestic airlines. (For=20
information on legroom, I consulted a useful Web site called Skytrax.)

Here's what you told me:

    1. Delta Air Lines. "Delta has by far the most uncomfortable coach=20
class," says Stan Szymanski, a safety consultant from Addison, Texas.=20
"The MIR space station was probably an upgrade over Delta's economy=20
class," adds Mark Moore, an executive from Flower Mound, Texas. How=20
come? It's the narrow seats, claims consultant Dan Wise of Benicia,=20
Calif. "Plus, they like to put three big guys in the same row." Now in=20
the interests of fairness, let me explain that a humane amount of=20
so-called seat "pitch" is considered to be at least 34 inches. The=20
distance between Delta's seats in economy class =97 about 32 inches =97 i=
s=20
the industry average, so it's not as if Delta is trying to torture us=20
any more than its competitors.

       According to those of you who contacted me, it's more a=20
combination of poor service and cramped flying conditions that puts=20
Delta over the top. (Coincidentally, Delta recently admitted that its=20
service had slipped and promised to do better; so hopefully this carrier=20
will work its way off this list.)

       My opinion: Delta's economy class is as bad as its business class=20
and first class are good, which may in itself make an interesting case=20
study in a college Marxism class. When I leave the plane after sitting=20
in cattle class, my back is sore and my ego bruised from the unkind=20
treatment at the hand of the flight attendants. Things can only get bette=
r.

    2. Northwest Airlines. Critics call this airline "North-worst," in=20
large part because of its dreadful economy-class sections. Sonia Vining,=20
a music teacher from Plymouth, Mich., recently flew to Honolulu on the=20
carrier, and she says =97 this is a direct quote, folks =97 "Northwest=20
sucked the big one." She says the service was so awful that she was=20
hard-pressed to get a second can of Diet Coke on a seven-hour flight.=20
"When people tell me Northwest isn't really 'North-worst,' I have a hard=20
time believing it," she adds. The same goes for Linda Urban, a retired=20
nurse who recently flew from Cincinnati to Maui on Northwest. "It was=20
the most uncomfortable flight I have ever had," she recalls. "I had=20
bruises on my knees by the time I got to my final destinations." Hmm,=20
maybe that's because Northwest's economy-class seats have only 31 inches=20
of space between seats?

       My opinion: I've had some rough flights on Northwest, too, but=20
things are looking up. Its new Airbus A330 jets are reportedly roomier=20
and even offer personalized video programming in coach class.

    3. United Airlines. I don't like to kick an airline when it's down,=20
but readers didn't seem to have a problem pummeling this ailing carrier.=20
"After United reconfigured its cabins to accommodate the 'Economy Plus,'=20
those of us who generally fly in the economy section started suffering=20
from leg cramps, numbness from having the circulation in our legs cut=20
off, extreme heat, and lack of oxygen," says Sharon Miller, a traveler=20
from Gardner, Mass. Among her gripes: hostile employees, lack of service=20
and inadequate space. "If animals were treated the way human beings are=20
on United Airlines flights, every animal rights organization in the=20
world would be initiating court actions against it," she adds. The=20
numbers don't lie: United's space between seats is about one inch less=20
than the standard, so it's a real squeeze.

       My opinion: OK, so Economy Plus =97 which basically created anothe=
r=20
class of service =97 was a terrible idea. And I've also suffered in the=20
steerage section of United Airlines' garden-variety economy class. But=20
it looks as if the carrier is trying to buy a clue. Its new low-fare=20
spinoff is said to be imitating traveler favorites such as Southwest and=20
JetBlue with more generous one-class seating configurations.

    4. US Airways. Again, I don't like to beat up on an airline that's=20
already suffering so much. But that's not a problem for Dick Esposito, a=20
convention coordinator from San Diego. US Airways "has the worst=20
legroom," he says (actually, it offers 33 inches, but for many=20
travelers, including me, that's hardly enough). He also doesn't like the=20
service. When he wanted to buy one of the $7 meals on a recent flight,=20
he had to press the flight-attendant "call" button in order to get=20
served =97 no one came by his seat to offer him a meal. When he asked for=
=20
a drink, a crew member poured a beverage into a plastic cup but kept the=20
remainder of the drink.

       Esposito is right about the customer service. In the last several=20
years, but especially lately as the airline underwent Chapter 11=20
bankruptcy protection (it emerged from Chapter 11 in March 2003), I've=20
received a lot of complaints about its product, both in the air and on=20
the ground. Clearly, US Airways has a Delta-size challenge when it comes=20
to its customer service. But I'm sure it already knew that.

       My opinion: Although I've endured many an uncomfortable flight in=20
US Airways' economy class, I can't bring myself to agreeing that its=20
problems are insurmountable. For every incompetent employee I've met,=20
there's an equally able person who loves the airline and wants it to=20
succeed. It's these people who will rescue the airline from mediocrity=20
and ensure US Airways never shows up on this list again.

    5. Continental Airlines. This was a close call, as there were many=20
other domestic carriers vying for a place on this list. But in the end,=20
the words of one of its own employees put the airline over the top. This=20
veteran airline worker recently traveled on his own airline with his=20
handicapped daughter, and had this to say about the experience: "I am=20
appalled at the way my fellow employees treat our customers. We were=20
treated like we were the biggest inconvenience that ever faced the=20
earth. I see on a daily basis the way people treat each other at=20
Continental, and it is terrible."

       The airline worker blames the problem on poor staffing and lack=20
of support by management. But does dreadful employee morale translate=20
into one of the worst economy-class sections in the skies? When you're=20
only offering 31 inches of space between seats, it does.=20
Congratulations, Continental.

       My opinion: Six years ago I wouldn't have hesitated to put=20
Continental at the top of this list. The fact that it is scraping the=20
bottom now =97 or should I say, the top? =97 is proof that it's trying to=
=20
turn things around. Spacing the seats out and addressing some employee=20
issues might make it vanish from this list the next time I update it. I=20
think it can.

Of course, it's possible that we expect too much out of economy class to=20
begin with. During the course of researching this column, I spoke with=20
some travelers, such as Michael McNeil, a health-education coordinator=20
for a university in Philadelphia, who argued that our demands are=20
unreasonable. "I see commercial airlines as companies that I pay to=20
transport me from one place to another," McNeil says. "They are not=20
there to feed me, pamper me, or cater to my every whim. They provide me=20
with safe transport from point 'A' to point 'B' =97 and I thank them for =
it."

Christopher Elliott is the editor of Elliott's E-mail, a free weekly=20
newsletter for travelers, and the publisher of Triprights.com, a site=20
about travel rights. You can e-mail him or visit his Web site.

--=20
David Mueller / MRY
dmueller7@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.quanterium.com