Re: Saying Bye To The B757

From: "Alireza Alivandivafa" <DEmocrat2n@xxxxxxx>

Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 3:14 PM

 In a message dated 9/30/2003 8:57:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kurtzke@xxxxxx
> writes:
>
> << In fact, I remember even longer before when Boeing said the 737 would
>  only be made a few more years. Is there a way to make a 90 pax 737 that
>  would be competitive with the RJ's, etc? In other words, a Boeing
>  737-100 Next Generation? >>
>
> They make the 737-600, which is similar in size and hotroddishness to
A318.
> For the same efficiency reasons as the A318, the 736 is not a big seller.
> Does anyone other than SAS and Royal Air Maroc fly them?

Reading

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737family/technical.html

you wouldn't think the 737-600 and 737-700 were even a product.  Other
Boeing pages give very little space to the 737-600.

Looking at the 738/739 specs is a little puzzling.  They are listed as
having the same one-class passenger capacity and same MTOW.   The range
given for the 739 is 224 sm less than the 738.  Thus what the bigger wing
and 8 foot 8 inch longer fuselage gets you in the 739 is supposedly the
higher cargo volume.  Since the bigger wing and fuselage must weigh more, I
wonder if the cargo weight allowed in the two planes can be much different
at full fuel load.  Of course with less than full fuel aboard, higher volume
available for cargo can allow bigger weight of the cargo, but also
considerably shorter range.  The 739 seems a little bit of a combi.

I couldn't find anything about the length of the 737-600 and 737-700.

Gerry
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley
http://members.fortunecity.com/gfoley/egypt/egypt.html