Air Transat phasing out L1011s

Transat Q3 loss $10.1M as revenue falls 10.3% to $441M: SARS, slack economy
Canadian Press / Thursday, September 11, 2003

MONTREAL (CP) - Blaming SARS and a generally slack travel market, Transat A.T. Inc.
has reported a loss of $10.1 million in the quarter ended July 31, as revenue
descended 10.3 per cent to $441 million.

The charter airline and tours operator also said Thursday it is phasing out its six
Lockheed L-1011s while adding four Airbus A310s to its fleet, and it has arranged a
two-year agreement with WestJet Airlines Ltd. to charter WestJet aircraft for
southern vacation flights.

Transat said the $441.1 million in revenue during its third quarter compared with
$495.4 million in the year-earlier period. The $10.1-million loss, 33 cents per
share, was down from net income of $5.7 million, 15 cents per share.

The latest quarter included a $4.3-million after-tax restructuring charge on
operations in France and Canada.

"The effects of SARS on our Canadian operations combined with the economic situation
and the overcapacity in the market in France led to a 19 per cent drop in travellers
in the current quarter," stated Jean-Marc Eustache, president and CEO of Transat A.T.

"We expect SARS to have a lingering impact into the fourth quarter and expect our
results for the fourth quarter to be below the results of the corresponding quarter
of 2002. We also expect Look Voyages to continue to incur losses in the next quarter."

The move to "harmonize" the fleet will result in a charge of $34 million before tax
in the current quarter to eliminate the L-1011s.

Transat (TSX:TRZ) said the charter arrangement with Calgary-based WestJet (TSX:WJA)
"will enable the corporation to broaden its service offerings in new markets and
better serve its existing customers."

© Copyright  2003 The Canadian Press