NYTimes.com Article: Slip-On Shoes, Long Waits: Air Travelers Still Adjusting

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

Slip-On Shoes, Long Waits: Air Travelers Still Adjusting

September 11, 2003
 By KATE ZERNIKE

BOSTON, Sept. 10 - Jay Lowell stopped taking the first
flight in the morning, having learned that in his waking
fog he invariably left something - wallet, wedding ring,
sport coat - at the security check.

Terri Murray no longer dozes on planes, wanting to remain
vigilant.

Cheryl Cohenour has traded her heels and suits for casual
dress on business trips. Her family and friends now receive
more gifts, which she picks out at the airport minimalls
she used to dash by, back in the day when she could leave
the office 30 minutes before her flight and still make it.

Airports, where the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, were
launched, are where the most Americans, about a billion
passengers last year, have seen the post-Sept. 11 changes
up close.

Some of those changes are big and obvious: the 49,600
federal security agents in crisp white shirts, mammoth
bag-screening machines, hundreds of pilots carrying guns.
Logan Airport here, where the two planes that hit the World
Trade Center took off, has added 61 state troopers since
the attacks. Across the country, there are fewer flights,
especially direct ones, and fewer passengers.

Two years after the attacks, frequent fliers seem to have
settled in to their new world of travel. But a tour of
airports large and small shows people making subtle
adjustments, ones that suggest both a sense of resolve and
a continued sense of vulnerability. Travelers have bought
post-9/11 shoes (slip-ons, no metal), bags (bigger, more
compartments), even bras (no underwire) to smooth the ride
through security. People have stopped wearing knee braces
and removed medical devices to prevent incontinence rather
than deal with a strip search at security.

Frequent fliers offer a few lessons. Do not drink coffee
and/or water before boarding the New York-Washington
shuttle; federal law requires passengers to stay in their
seats within 30 minutes of the nation's capital, or the
length of a shuttle flight, so a trip to bathroom could
result in a $10,000 fine. Carry prescriptions, or the
identification card showing the tiny X-ray to prove it
really is the knee replacement setting off the sensor.
Order an extra driver's license; having to show it so often
increases the risk of losing it. Knitting needles, however,
at least the plastic or bamboo ones, apparently no longer
prompt alarm.

The adjustments are constant. Just when a passenger figures
out the shoe thing, her hand lotion registers as
nitroglycerine on a scan in tiny Presque Isle, Me., where
the security agents on duty sometimes outnumber the
travelers.

By all accounts, the biggest adjustment has been arriving
for flights earlier, up to two hours instead of 15 minutes.
On the other hand, those who used to sprint to gates with
minutes to spare say they have come to like their cushion
of time.

Ms. Murray, a 31-year-old financial adviser who flies once
a week from her home in Charlotte, N.C., has started
keeping a journal of entrepreneurial ideas she dreams up
while waiting for planes. "Instead of a hot bathtub with a
glass of champagne at home, it's beer at the airport," she
said, drinking that beer at Logan. "It's my alone time."

But like Ms. Murray, people remain on alert. Airport
directors say more people are reporting suspicious behavior
among other passengers. Some travelers say people seem more
serious at airports. Ms. Cohenour, 47, was taken aback
earlier this summer to suddenly hear children laughing in
an airport.

"I used to feel like, `Hey, I'm going somewhere, it's fun,'
" said Ms. Cohenour, an engineering consultant who lives in
Tulsa, Okla. "Travel is not such a frivolous activity
anymore. It could result in your life. It requires a lot
more thought."

At O'Hare airport in Chicago on Monday, Susane Vitale, 36,
looked perplexed as a screener sifted through her toiletry
bag looking for the thing that had appeared as a knife on
the X-ray. "But I hardly carry any toiletries any more,"
Ms. Vitale insisted.

Two minutes later, the screener's sternness melted to a
smile. "This is our culprit," he said, fishing out a silver
barrette. "The barrette," Ms. Vitale said, "I hadn't even
thought about the barrette."

Like most other business travelers, she has adapted: She
bought a bigger tote to accommodate her purse when airlines
began restricting passengers to two carry-ons. No more
heels, trench coats or jean jackets - belts and buttons
only mean hassle.

"It's changed how I am as a woman," she said. "Minimal
jewelry. No razor, no tweezers. Now the barrette. It's a
no-win game. What do you bring as a woman anymore?"

Indeed, women seem more likely to say they have made
adjustments to packing and dressing. But men and women
alike complain that security can be inconsistent, or seem
silly: when a pen could be a weapon, why bother taking away
nail files? Why do shoes that saunter through four airport
screenings not make it through the fifth?

Randomness, of course, is part of the plan: the Sept. 11
hijackers practiced their methods well in advance to see
what they could get away with.

Still, said Brad Handler, 35, flying from New York to
Boston, "I know if I buy a one-way ticket, I'm going to get
that `S'," the mark of those chosen for special screening.
"It's pretty obvious it's totally not random."

Security is not the only complaint. Fewer flights have made
planning harder, flying more cramped. Cookie Grandmaison, a
management consultant, had planned to live half the year
with her husband, who is retired in Northern Maine. Her
job, however, demands weekly travel, and with the cuts in
flights from Maine, it makes more sense to spend about
eight months at their home in Virginia.

There are some ways in which flying feels normal again.
Immediately after the attacks, pilots were making
announcements advising passengers to watch their seatmates
for suspicious behavior, and be ready to stop anyone from
storming the cabin. This week, on a United flight to
Chicago, the pilot was back to announcing the sports
finals: "Andy Roddick wins the U.S. Open."

With occasional but prominent exceptions, long lines have
largely dwindled. The Transportation Security
Administration, created in November 2001 to take over
security from airports and airlines, reports the average
waiting time at checkpoints at under 10 minutes.

At Logan, for example, screeners said most resistance comes
from pilots. Other travelers seem grateful.

"I'm on planes two, three times a week, I'd just as soon
take my shoes off than have somebody get explosives
through," said Brian O'Toole, 45, an investment adviser
flying through O'Hare. "You can't afford too many mistakes
at 35,000 feet."

Yet despite the adjustments, airports remain the place
where it is easy to trigger emotion.

"They asked me who my next-of-kin was when I checked in,"
Ms. Cohenour, the consultant from Tulsa, said as she
shopped at O'Hare. "That hit me hard."

She is scheduled to fly home on the anniversary of the
attacks, on American Airlines. Her daughter booked the
ticket, thinking only <object.title class="Movie"
idsrc="nyt_ttl" value="173819">"Thursday"</object.title>
and not "the 11th."

Ms. Cohenour scoffed when a friend tried to persuade her to
change it. Then, as CNN began running special 9/11
programming, she began to consider how much a change would
cost. Then she considered that changing might be admitting
defeat. She decided to keep the plan.

"I thought, it's life," she said. "I'm going to travel."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/11/national/11AIRL.html?ex=1064294021&ei=1&en=d94b6977a7676bcb

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company