Air hostess wrestles drunken passenger

11 Sep, 2003 / MaltaMedia-News - (source: Sheffield Today)

An air hostess from Sheffield wrestled a drunken passenger to the floor as he tried
to open the door of a Boeing 757 - 2,000ft above the ground. The plane was about to
land at the Malta International Airport.

The passenger, a 45-year-old jobless window cleaner from West Yorkshire, had been
travelling with a team of amateur footballers to play a Maltese team. He was allowed
to stay for his holiday, but was arrested when he returned to Manchester Airport. He
was charged and later jailed for being drunk and endangering the lives of passengers
on an aircraft.

The air hostess, Emma Monckton, has landed a police accolade for preventing a
potential disaster on the holiday flight when she knocked the burly passenger to the
floor as he tried to wrench the door open. Air chiefs said if he had succeeded Emma
and the passenger could have fallen from the plane and been sucked into one of the
aircraft's engines.

The 25-year-old from Sheffield sprang into action when she saw the passenger make for
an exit as the plane she was working on was about to land in Malta. The Thomas Cook
air stewardess had just taken her seat for landing when she spotted the man stagger
to one of the Boeing 757's doors.

Emma reacted immediately by jumping up and struggling with the passenger to prevent
him lowering a lever which would open the door.

A Thomas Cook spokesman said: "Had he succeeded, the hinges of the door would have
come away inflating a safety shoot. One false step and Emma and the passenger would
have fallen from the plane and could have died by being sucked into one of the
aircraft's engines just eight feet away."

Putting all her introductory training into use, Emma managed to knock the passenger
to the ground. "After recovering, he started to make his way towards the cockpit, but
was prevented by other cabin crew who, realising what was happening, came to Emma's
rescue," said the spokesman.

Now Emma's actions in restraining the lout have earned her a special accolade from
Greater Manchester Airport Police after she was nominated for a Royal Humane Society
Bravery award.

Chief Insp Martin Gaffney said: "Undoubtedly Emma's quick-thinking actions on the day
prevented a potentially catastrophic situation."

Emma was also praised by Glen Chipp, managing director of Thomas Cook Airlines UK.

"Emma came up trumps by wrestling a very large drunken man to the ground, preventing
what could have been a major disaster," he said.

Emma, who is modest about her bravery, revealed she is still haunted by the events of
that flight. "Whenever I see a large group of men coming towards me, I momentarily
panic," she said. "The next time a Malta flight came up on my roster I would have
given anything to have got out of going, but I'm happy about flying there now."

She added: "Anyone of the crew would have done the same I did. Those who could safely
leave their seats came to my rescue. It was a team effort in the end."

And, despite her continuing nightmares about her ordeal, Emma revealed she has no
intention of finding work at ground level - she hopes to train as a pilot.