Re: AA MD-80 lands w/nose gear up at JFK

From: "Greg Rendell" <greg20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 4:08 PM

>From http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_090203_jfkplane.html

<snip>
American Airlines flight 1048, an MD-80 carrying 128 passengers and a crew
of five, had been on approach to Newark airport when the pilot found that
the nose landing gear had not fully deployed.

Faced with setting the plane down with its nose flat on the tarmac, the
captain opted to switch their landing site from Newark to JFK for that
airport's longer runways.

The plane's touchdown was reportedly as smooth as possible under the
circumstances, and after the nose set down the plane was brought to a halt
still under control. The plane and runway were then sprayed with
fire-retardant foam as a safety precaution.

<snip>

Anyone know if the nosewheel contacted the runway during the stop, or was it
the nose of the plane (I mean the skidbuggy) that skidded along?

I wonder how slow you can go and still keep the tail down and the fuselage
level.

Quite a feat, anyway.

Gerry
http://foley.ultinet.net/~gerry/aerial/aerial.html